GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

stop start on dsg

Groovetemple

MK7 Golf Stop Start Problems when fitted with DSG

Having problems with stop start its really aggressive and a pain when waiting for a slot to pull onto a roundabout VW are saying they can't adjust it so I can see this being a real problem as there is a delay while the engine restarts and dsg engages gear

Last edited:

Boost1

Ready to race!
Not got DSG but stop/start seems OK with my manual, though probably I am unintentionally preventing it working it a lot of the time by sitting in gear with the clutch dipped instead of engaging neutral. It certainly kicks in a lot more on the Mk7 than my bmw which only stops when the engine is warm and nothing is draining the battery too much.

Just deactivate it if you don't like it?

Groovetemple

Yes but it means switching it off every time you get in the vehicle which I was hoping could be something you could do permanently through the dealer. Mine also cuts out when its cold so this morning 20 seconds after I started it up the stop start shuts down the engine while the heater is still blowing freezing cold air... Bad design...

vwman

Go Kart Champion
Yes but it means switching it off every time you get in the vehicle which I was hoping could be something you could do permanently through the dealer. Mine also cuts out when its cold so this morning 20 seconds after I started it up the stop start shuts down the engine while the heater is still blowing freezing cold air... Bad design...

That doesn't sound right..
Stop- Start shouldn't be working within 20 secs on a totally cold engine.
I'd get that checked out.

Boost1

Ready to race!
Just a thought - any chance you are driving in Eco mode and it has made the auto stop extra aggressive. I believe it does a few different things to stretch out the mpg such as reduced power to the aircon etc.

Groovetemple

DSG Stop Start Issue

Had the car checked out and the verdict is they cant do anything about it, despite the dealer agreeing it is a pain in the arse!

So every time I start the car now I switch it off and on those occasions it would have helped the mpg I have to accept this is the only compromise.

VW Customer Services have also said there is nothing they can do as to change it would require a full EU emissions approval process for them.

Maybe I am fussy, but then again maybe VW are going to have a hard time with this...

BTW did you hear the story about the first 100 UK GTs which didn't get folding door mirrors, another fine mess...!

Groovetemple

Just a thought - any chance you are driving in Eco mode and it has made the auto stop extra aggressive. I believe it does a few different things to stretch out the mpg such as reduced power to the aircon etc.

Its a bit of a waste of space, sport mode makes the steering a bit heavier, ECO makes is less responsive, Normal is where I leave it. On the DSG the sport mode also puts the gearbox into sport mode which just holds onto the revs for longer which is pointless considering the low down torque the car has..

thebadger

START-STOP

hI,

I have dsg diesel coming soon.My first dsg so if i keep foot on brake at say traffic lights will start stop kick in or do u need to be in neutral.Also to deactivate it every trip is there just a button on dashboard to press,thanks.

vwman

Go Kart Champion
hI,

I have dsg diesel coming soon.My first dsg so if i keep foot on brake at say traffic lights will start stop kick in or do u need to be in neutral.Also to deactivate it every trip is there just a button on dashboard to press,thanks.

Stop/Start with DSG. (from my handbook )

' When the car is stationary, press and hold the brake pedal. The engine is stopped.
Take your foot off brake pedal, or depress the accelerator, to restart engine.'

Yes there is a button marked 'A' next to DSG gearshift to deactivate -every trip as you said.