GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stock Shift Knob Plastic Top Cracking

Anthony3o55

Autocross Champion
So whats the deal with the stock shift knob cracking on the top where the gears are shown. I almost bought a white MK7 with a fat crack down the middle. I have no idea how tf my shit started to crack.

Im definitely gonna buy this BFI knob

https://blackforestindustries.com/p...-shift-knob-schwarz-golf-ball-vw-audi-fitment

339D9262-EF61-452D-A645-C706F404443B.jpeg

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Who knows? The owner could have caused it. Never heard anyone else say it's a problem.

Anthony3o55

Autocross Champion
The crack is hard to see. It looks like a scratch. Look at where the flash is. You will see a small ass line going upwards to the right. Very hard to tell. When I got this car the shift knob was perfect.

EDIT: Found a better picture.

2F311537-8979-4334-B1D0-7897A5F404AA.jpeg

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
The crack is hard to see. It looks like a scratch. Look at where the flash is. You will see a small ass line going upwards to the right. Very hard to tell. When I got this car the shift knob was perfect.

EDIT: Found a better picture.

View attachment 192511
It’s a scratch I think. Could’ve been jewelry? Or maybe when you were wiping it down you scratched it? Your talking about that line that starts on the lower left. Curves up and to the right. Terminates. Then another short dash scratch?

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
It’s a scratch I think. Could’ve been jewelry? Or maybe when you were wiping it down you scratched it? Your talking about that line that starts on the lower left. Curves up and to the right. Terminates. Then another short dash scratch?
Yes, it does look like a scratch to me too. If it had started from the edge of the gear shift insert I’d have been more likely to think it was a crack. As you‘ve said, jewellery might be the culprit, or maybe a piece of grit in a cleaning cloth.

In addition to the long mark and the short dash mark above the horizontal line on the gearshift pattern below the 1 and 3, there’s a short vertical one below the 4.

@Anthony3o55, if you run your fingernail over the mark and it doesn’t catch, you may well be able to polish it out; that’s assuming it‘s a scratch and not a crack though.

Anthony3o55

Autocross Champion
Yes, it does look like a scratch to me too. If it had started from the edge of the gear shift insert I’d have been more likely to think it was a crack. As you‘ve said, jewellery might be the culprit, or maybe a piece of grit in a cleaning cloth.

In addition to the long mark and the short dash mark above the horizontal line on the gearshift pattern below the 1 and 3, there’s a short vertical one below the 4.

@Anthony3o55, if you run your fingernail over the mark and it doesn’t catch, you may well be able to polish it out; that’s assuming it‘s a scratch and not a crack though.
I did what you said it catches. It’s all good though. It’s strange because I never wear jewelry. Even if I were to scratch it I would’ve remembered. I used a microfiber cloth to clean my interior. F it though new shift knob it is!l

This is how my knob looked when I got the car.
283D4F2B-4B08-4A62-AEE0-CEF0F5AF31C2.jpeg