GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stock ride height

MarkP888

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
I did a little mod to raise the ride height a small amount over the weekend, but like an idiot I forgot to take my measurement before I started. Could someone with an MK7 GTI and standard suspension take the measurement for me from center of wheel to top of wheel well? I want to see how much it changed. If anyone is curious, here is what I am trying (look for the orange spacer in the spring). This is a cheapy attempt to stiffen up the rear body roll a bit and raise the ride height just a bit. We are talking maybe 1/2". Visually it doesn't look much different. Feels better though! Next step is probably H&R Sport Springs OE, but keep one of these spacers in there. I think that would do nicely. In any case, while still here on the stock springs, I will report back with my measurement once someone gives me the original OE stock height.

20221002_173242.jpg

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
So you’re going to throw on lowering springs, but keep a spacer in to…. Raise it? Am I tracking that correctly?

MarkP888

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
You got it! Haha. The goal for me is not lowering. this vehicle is plenty low already. Too low if you ask me. The goal is to improve the slop in the back end without additional lowering. The OE sport springs are only 0.75" of lowering. I'll aim to get them close to stock with the additional bushing which will also tighten up handling and improve the ride.

8055WAGEN

Go Kart Champion
Have you considered pulling out your spacers and adding a big rear sway bar instead? Without changing the coil springs.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Are you thinking you'll run these all the time, or just at the track? I'd be nervous running them constantly but can definitely see the utility for a track day or transporting heavy loads.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I don't have stock springs and dampers measurements, but I do have stock springs on Koni Special Active dampers. They should be pretty close since the spring is pretty much what is dictating the ride height anyway. Note that my stock springs are a bit wacky and have always had a bit of reverse rake to them even when I first bought it. Measurements are center of wheel up to the arch.

1664974078485.png

I looked into the stock ride height variances way too much not too long ago:
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/mk7-gti-dsg-factory-ride-height.393122/

Note that VW says there can be up to a plus minus of 10mm. My theory for my particular car was the front was +10mm and rear -10mm haha.
1664974501419.png

Last edited:

nok513

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI S
That looks sketchy. Why not get EQT Coilovers (or comparable if available) since they can be raised a bit higher than stock and you have damping control?

MarkP888

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Have you considered pulling out your spacers and adding a big rear sway bar instead? Without changing the coil springs.
I don't think this would be enough to tighten up the slop. The back end has way too much movement, both squatting under acceleration and body roll.

Not taking this on the track. This is simply trying to improve the behavior for daily driving.