GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stock MT/PP Clutch Slippage

Chad13762

Go Kart Champion
Background: I've had my car for about 3,500 miles and it's bone stock (except springs) Prior to this weekend, I haven't had any clutch issues during typical stoplight to stoplight street hooning - although I usually don't launch that hard on the street.

This weekend, at an Autocross event, while launching hard from the start, the clutch would not fully engage. On the hard 1 => 2 shift out of the start, it also suffered from massive slippage. Once underway, on course, the clutch seemed to hold fine. Even in one corner, where I had to get down into first, and quickly back into second, it seemed to hold - however i was much more subtle in application of throttle and clutch engagement.

Is the bleeder delay a possible cause of this? Maybe I'm just on the gas too hard before the clutch has had time to fully engage? I'd jump in and do the bleeder delay mod now, but don't want to touch anything if it's a potential warranty issue.

LeGti

Ready to race!
Delay valve removal won't void the warranty and is a must. Get it done or do it yourself asap: I truly wish I had done mine sooner :)

Chad13762

Go Kart Champion
OK - It sounds like I should just dive in and do it. The thread on the mod sounded like it improved clutch/shifting feel, but no one mentioned the big slippage I was experiencing. It makes sense that it's the issue though.:cool:

xl1200r

Ready to race!
OK - It sounds like I should just dive in and do it. The thread on the mod sounded like it improved clutch/shifting feel, but no one mentioned the big slippage I was experiencing. It makes sense that it's the issue though.:cool:

The slippage is the whole reason to do it.

LeGti

Ready to race!

Let us know how it works out for you :)

Boost3d.GTI

Ready to race!
Did you have your ASR fully off?

Chad13762

Go Kart Champion
Did you have your ASR fully off?

Yes, but it wasn't tire spin. Definitely the the clutch (as evident by the awfull roasting clutch smell).

I guess I should add that I wasn't revving to 6k and dropping the clutch. Just an aggressive roll-on of throttle while releasing the clutch pretty quickly.

Boost3d.GTI

Ready to race!
Yes, but it wasn't tire spin. Definitely the the clutch (as evident by the awfull roasting clutch smell).

Yea, I did one hard launch with my car and smelled the clutch really bad for next hour or so. Than I made 5 more passes down the drag strip lol.