GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stock GTI

will you keep your car stock?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

\w/

Ready to race!
funny how everyone rushes to modify a new car; the more after market parts the better. But on the older cars, everyone is scrambling to get the original OEM parts.

I will be keeping my car as close to stock as possible (light mods like a cigarette lighter, tire caps... etc dont count ;))

Anyone else keeping their car stock? why?

LimitedTimeOnly

Passed Driver's Ed
I selected my car to be able to do what I want as stock, including balancing performance with fuel economy as a daily driver. I'm not interested in upsetting that balance.

That said, I may eventually replace the wheels, and maybe do some sort of minor cosmetic modifications, but I choose 100% stock in the poll since I think wheels are a light mod.

aleczorz1

Passed Driver's Ed
Keeping stock until 20k miles at least. I'm not in any rush to tune and all that, but I certainly want to make the car unique.

Plus, it's expensive to mod. So waiting a while isn't a bad idea for me. :)

\w/

Ready to race!
Theres a lot of buzz on resale value. How do you think modifying your GTI will effect it's resale value?

KCchiefin

Ready to race!
I came from a protuned stage 2+ '16 WRX. First car I ever modded to that extent. I went to the GTI because I felt it would be a better daily and I really didn't need the raw power. Now with that said, I picked up the car not even a month ago and I've already put on coilovers, picked up a VCDS, switched out bulbs, got new wheels, and have a JB1 and downpipe on the way. Much more than I originally planned on doing, but I plan on being done after that. If I have the option to make my car unique, I will most certainly do it. Plus doing the work myself is a (usually) worthwhile experience. I also keep every single OEM part I remove so that I can return it back to stock and sell the aftermarket parts when I'm ready for a new car.

Theres a lot of buzz on resale value. How do you think modifying your GTI will effect it's resale value?

I traded my WRX in w/ the lowering springs still on it along with a few other mods that I didn't feel like removing and actually had 600 leftover to put towards the GTI. So I think resale value will depend on how well the car was maintained, the extent of the mods, and how much of the car is returned back to stock.

Last edited:

euroadb

Go Kart Champion

Modifying will only harm resale value, unless you're lucky to find an enthusiast to sell to who will appreciate the exact mods. I would treat modding as money you're throwing away. Not necessarily wasted, per se, because it's a hobby and making your car better and "your own" has its own value.

I'm keeping mine stock for now bc it's a damn expensive car (for me). But I definitely want coilovers, stage 2 and downpipe in the future when my warranty is closer to expiring.

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
Keeping mine stock because of warranty and the fact that it seems more people are having issues once modded than stock. This is also my daily and don't have much room to stretch the legs on my commute to so no point in sinking money into it at the moment.

\w/

Ready to race!
Would any of you guys buy a pre owned GTI knowing it was modded by the previous owner? (flash, bolt-ons...etc)

Chris43

Go Kart Champion
Stock for me, I like my Golf just the way it is.

Also, cars loose enough money as it without making it less attractive by making mechanical mods that could put prospective buyers off.

I would never buy a modded car, id be worried about the long term reliability.

Chris43

Go Kart Champion
Would any of you guys buy a pre owned GTI knowing it was modded by the previous owner? (flash, bolt-ons...etc)

No, Id walk on by. Id have concerns about the long term reliability and how hard it had be driven.

cbaumy34

Go Kart Champion
I'm on the fence. I was going to stay stock. But I may grab a catback exhaust and then leave it alone.

Also going to do small cosmetic mods.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Last edited: