GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Still crying over my clutch. Does this cost sound crazy?

hotchicken

Ready to race!
I posted earlier about a rough wheel hop like symptoms in my car. That has gone away, and now I just have what definitely appears to be a slipping clutch. Barely engages in first, and then if I give it any juice at all in any gear the revs shoot up but the speed does not. The only odd thing to me is that I don’t smell anything.

Anyway, I’m being quoted $1600 in labor to install a new South Bend Stage 2 Endurance clutch. The HS tuning clutch went in the car for less than $800 just last year. That was in Ohio, and I am in Nashville, but I don’t see that making a big difference.

I don’t know their hourly rate, but let’s say it’s $160. That’s 10 hours labor. Does that sound right?

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
I posted earlier about a rough wheel hop like symptoms in my car. That has gone away, and now I just have what definitely appears to be a slipping clutch. Barely engages in first, and then if I give it any juice at all in any gear the revs shoot up but the speed does not. The only odd thing to me is that I don’t smell anything.

Anyway, I’m being quoted $1600 in labor to install a new South Bend Stage 2 Endurance clutch. The HS tuning clutch went in the car for less than $800 just last year. That was in Ohio, and I am in Nashville, but I don’t see that making a big difference.

I don’t know their hourly rate, but let’s say it’s $160. That’s 10 hours labor. Does that sound right?

Find a local MK7 MQB Facebook group and see who they recommend. Trust me...these Facebook Groups are great for stuff like this...especially the local ones. You can also ask on the main MQB one.

I would go Southbend Stage 3 Daily at least also...or else you will be replacing that stage 2 if you plan on being tuned.

hotchicken

Ready to race!
Find a local MK7 MQB Facebook group and see who they recommend. Trust me...these Facebook Groups are great for stuff like this...especially the local ones. You can also ask on the main MQB one.

I would go Southbend Stage 3 Daily at least also...or else you will be replacing that stage 2 if you plan on being tuned.

I have an APR stage one tune right now. Thinking stage two maybe but always just daily driving. That’s only 410 foot pounds if I go high torque. The South Bend stage two endurance is rated for 465. Do you think I need more than that?

hotchicken

Ready to race!

I will check with the locals, but I’m pretty sure they would recommend this shop who has given me the high quote. They are the only VAG performance oriented shop in town. Checking just with transmission shops, but I don’t know if that’s wise or not.

gregozedobe

Battle scarred veteran
$1300 labor final including brake flush. Why brake flush?

Do the brake and clutch share the same reservoir, so using the same fluid ?

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
$1600 for labor alone is beyond crazy. I paid half that for the install labor on my Golf R.

A quick search on Facebook shows a couple dub groups in middle Tennessee and Nashville. "DUBS of Nashville" & "middle Tennessee Volkswagen club".

There's also regional subforms here:
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16

I'd definitely get a second opinion and find a good Volkswagen/Audi shop that's local to you.

elwood1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2024 GTI SE DSG
$1600 is crazy high. I paid $900, and that was high for my area, but the shop is one of the best in the area and as my car is my DD, I needed it done right. Have you contacted HS Tuning? I have about 10,000 miles on my HS clutch, I am not tuned but was heading in that direction until I read about your clutch.