GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sticker-less Sun Visor PN

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
So I tried it using acetone. Did not work. Definitely did not peel off, neither as a whole or in parts. First tried wetting the label for a minute, then for a couple more. Tried it for half an hour. Considering acetone is highly volatile, there's no point in trying to leave it overnight -- the acetone will simply evaporate and leave behind a dry sponge. Oh well.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
I bought a used replacement stickered visor because I couldn't wait to find a stickerless one. Should be arriving today. I'll pick up some acetone and try this today.
I wonder if they changed the glue on newer model years. Did you use full strength acetone, the kind that comes in a metal can?

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
I wonder if they changed the glue on newer model years. Did you use full strength acetone, the kind that comes in a metal can?
Adhesive changed from mk5/mk6. This has been known since wayyyyy back when mk7 first came out and the folks coming from mk5/mk6 wanted it gone (just like we all did on that platform). Full strength acetone works. I don't mess with nail polish remover, it sometimes has additives and things i'm not interested in.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
If you're open to other alternatives as well, Badgeskins sells vinyl overlays that cover them.

I posted this in Anotero's previous thread about these visor labels:
A word about Badgeskins and those stickers for those who might not know...

Badgeskins dude took those stickers from forum member OaklandGTI, who created and posted them for free use in the community. Then without asking or attempting to give credit to the creator, put them on his site and monetized them to sell to the community as his own under the badgeskins name. I don't patronize people who do shitty stuff like that.

PS I too tried Acetone after chatting with Sprinks years back, didn't work for me at all either.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

A word about Badgeskins and those stickers for those who might not know...

Badgeskins dude took those stickers from forum member OaklandGTI, who created and posted them for free use in the community. Then without asking or attempting to give credit to the creator, put them on his site and monetized them to sell to the community as his own under the badgeskins name. I don't patronize people who do shitty stuff like that.

PS I too tried Acetone after chatting with Sprinks years back, didn't work for me at all either.

I have no affiliation with Badgeskins, and no skin in this either way. But the ones posted by OaklandGTI and the ones for sale by Badgeskins are slightly different enough for me to believe they didn't just steal his artwork. Copy the idea and re-create it themselves? Absolutely. Given that it's just a trademarked logo and some signature text, anybody who's ever opened up Illustrator could make that in 2 minutes. But just download his vector images and slap them on their site? I don't think that's what happened.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
I have no affiliation with Badgeskins, and no skin in this either way. But the ones posted by OaklandGTI and the ones for sale by Badgeskins are slightly different enough for me to believe they didn't just steal his artwork. Copy the idea and re-create it themselves? Absolutely. Given that it's just a trademarked logo and some signature text, anybody who's ever opened up Illustrator could make that in 2 minutes. But just download his vector images and slap them on their site? I don't think that's what happened.

I‘m fairly certain at the beginning he directly ripped off OaklandGTI. I recall speaking to him directly about it. Fairly certain he posted here or on Vortex about it.

In either case, whether they took the exact design and just recreated it as you said or directly ripped it off, it’s a shitty thing to do. The idea, look, feel and positioning of both logos are near identical. It just looks like badgeskins just enlarged the VW by 10% or so... if you scroll through Oakland GTI’s post you linked there is an all black version, exactly like the badgeskins version. As someone with a design degree this kind of thing is just not cool.

7525E5DB-FFCF-403D-898B-539D4EC294D9.jpeg

Last edited:

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI

Yep. I've had that badgeskin sitting in my drawer for over a year since when I bought them, I only installed the passenger side one (have a CD holder on the driver side).

All acetone did was mess up the visor, I had to buy a new one on eBay.