GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stg2 boost at redline

rllu

I’ve tried to search for what stg2 boost levels are at redline but only find threads talking about peak boost. Care to share your numbers?

rllu

Yes, lots of variables but I’m just curious what most people are tapering too. Do you know what yours does?

I suspect most people spoke mid to high 20s with taper to ~20.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Mine is a dyno tune and is completely irrelevant. Your question can't be answered very simply. Stage 1,2 or custom etc. Some tuners use more timing advance and less boost. Pick a tuner and a stage of tuning and someone can specify what their boost is. What mods matter also.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Yes, lots of variables but I’m just curious what most people are tapering too. Do you know what yours does?

I suspect most people spoke mid to high 20s with taper to ~20.
Okay mine peaks at 29 and tapers to 27. Does that help you?

rllu

Okay mine peaks at 29 and tapers to 27. Does that help you?

Thanks! Sounds like you have a pretty aggressive tune for stg2. How long have you been on it? Have you been on a dyno?

Not here to waste anyone’s time, I was just curious. A friend asked me how much boost a typical stg2 IS38 runs and I didn’t really know. I never logged or had a boost gauge when I was stage 2.

Now I’m running a custom ED tune on a CTS BB-550 - peak and hold 29 lbs to redline.

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
Thanks! Sounds like you have a pretty aggressive tune for stg2. How long have you been on it? Have you been on a dyno?

Not here to waste anyone’s time, I was just curious. A friend asked me how much boost a typical stg2 IS38 runs and I didn’t really know. I never logged or had a boost gauge when I was stage 2.

Pretty sure Jim is Stage 3 since he has TPC20 on his car.
When I was stage 2 (E40 EQT e-tune) on stock IS38 I peaked @ 26psi. Now on Vortex standard and peak at 30-31psi (also EQT tuned) on E30 (no MPI..stock DI)

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Pretty sure Jim is Stage 3 since he has TPC20 on his car.
When I was stage 2 (E40 EQT e-tune) on stock IS38 I peaked @ 26psi. Now on Vortex standard and peak at 30-31psi (also EQT tuned) on E30 (no MPI..stock DI)
Dyno tune whatever stage you would call that. It was a remote EQT dyno tune.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Understood but he was asking specifically about boost levels on Stage 2 IS38.
That's going to depend on the tuner also. When I had an IS38 it ran 29 peek boost tapering to 26 at redline.

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
That's going to depend on the tuner also. When I had an IS38 it ran 29 peek boost tapering to 26 at redline.
Yup, understand that as well :)
I was providing my one data point since that was the ask. Some tuners go higher on boost, less timing or vice versa, etc
29psi does sounds pretty aggressive on an IS38. Which tuner was that curiously?