GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

stg 1 mk7.5 gti vs Tesla model 3 (base)

3underpar

Car(s)
Mk7.5 gti
I dont usually post these cuz idc much about launch/0-60 times but this casual red light race surprised me.. I had a shit launch so he was ahead to 20ish mph but then I pulled hard and was in front by at least half a car length the whole time before I let off at 78 (virginia laws scare me). Stage 1 high tq 93 tune and tcu tune with as3+ tires. Mk7.5 so VAQ as well but still surprised tf outta me though given my shit launch.

3underpar

Car(s)
Mk7.5 gti
As am i, hence the post... very possible he had been launching at every light prior and was slower than he would be on a fresh launch due to heat restrictions on the teslas; as he was definitely driving like a goofball for the duration that I was behind him before this light.. Also unsure of his tire specs, but!..The standard range model 3 is listed at 5.2 or 5.3 0-60 I think? and yes car n driver pegged the stock mk7 gti at 5.8 (i think?) and I should do a fair bit better than that given the tunes n tires but I was still very surprised considering im not running the freshest rubber and our cars (gtis at least) are not known for planting power given the fwd platform. Also I did not use the LC function, furthering my amazement that I pulled on him. There are plenty of base model 3s in this area though, and I will likely try to test this again cuz i didn't believe it either 😂😂

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I'm surprised also. The Tesla is capable of 0-60 in 3.1 seconds and high 11's in the quarter.
Maybe he wasn't actually racing.

3underpar

Car(s)
Mk7.5 gti
I'm surprised also. The Tesla is capable of 0-60 in 3.1 seconds and high 11's in the quarter.
Maybe he wasn't actually racing.
Correct. the dual motor, awd, "long range" model is capable of that time. yes. But the regular rwd standard range model is much slower.

3underpar

Car(s)
Mk7.5 gti
Correct. the dual motor, awd, "long range" model is capable of that time. yes. But the regular rwd standard range model is much slower.
(Wouldn't even be posting if it was a dual motor model. I know im not keeping up with that)

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
Something about the front end of those Teslas that reminds me of a Ken doll. Also the way they sound. Something is just...missing.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
My sister just bought one, the poverty RWD version. I’m expecting to be underwhelmed by it but I won’t get a chance to drive it till Christmas

You will be, it's a turd.

Even the dual motor long range is a dog above 70mph...and the $55k Performance traps less than an IS38 GTI by the 1/8 mile.

They're dig machines, thats it. The suspension and steering on the dual motor long range I drove was surprisingly good though.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
I don't get that. An 11 in the quarter is pretty quick.

They run hard to 70mph and then lose steam. They're not fast on the highway...Your car would mop up a model 3 performance from a 60 roll.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
They run hard to 70mph and then lose steam. They're not fast on the highway...Your car would mop up a model 3 performance from a 60 roll.

I've only raced one. It was the top model S. From a dig to 90 MPH he had me by a car and I backed off at that point. Can't get another ticket. It was 113* and maybe with cooler temps it would have been different.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
I saw a guy bring a model 3 performance or whatever it's called to the track once. He talked up a big storm all morning and got a lot of attention. Supposedly that was the one with a track mode of some sort. He drove for about 15 mins of the first session then pulled off to charge and that was it for the day. He was definitely on throttle a lot and had some background experience from what he was saying (I've never seen him out there before). In the advanced group he was definitely in the bottom three of 20. I flew past him in my gti through a fast corner and never saw him again. Prior to that on the technical front half he was carrying some decent speed through the corners though!