GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stereo question

ptown

Hi, I've tried searching and I can't find anything on it. I have a Golf MK7 90tsi 2015 1.4 fitted with a 5g0035819a stereo/infotainment screen. I want to install a reverse camera but most of the ones on aliexpress and eBay say RCA, RNS 510 etc. and I don't know which one is mine. How do I find out this sort of info?

Also whats the difference between installing an OEM flip camera or just a normal camera - as in will there be any problems with parking sensors displaying while in reverse etc. I'm asking because if it's only a quality sort of thing i'd rather save $100~ and get a licence plate camera.

Camera examples:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Car...-Volkswagen-Golf-7-MK7-Night/32811644951.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Car...Camera-For-VW-Golf-7-MK7-VII/32748606212.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/CCD...0.html?spm=2114.10010108.1000015.7.vWJWLz&s=p

Hope someone can help me, thank you!!!

dr_mk7_il

Ready to race!
Your control unit does not support a reverse camera.
You'll need a Discover Media unit that supports RVC. If you are located in Australia I suggest you contact VW Central and discuss options or a retrofit.

ptown

Your control unit does not support a reverse camera.
You'll need a Discover Media unit that supports RVC. If you are located in Australia I suggest you contact VW Central and discuss options or a retrofit.

Thanks for replying. My friend has the same golf except his is a comfortline model (i think). The discover media has navigation but my friends does not and he has a camera plus front and rear sensors. Could it be that there are several composition media units?

btw my dealership on purchase quoted a reverse camera for like $1000+ so i think its possible but can't afford to pay that much as I'm a student :(

dr_mk7_il

Ready to race!
I'm assuming that the 1000 AUD cost includes a new control unit as the camera can be sourced for around 300 USD on eBay. Did they specify whats inuded in that price quote?

What hardware unit does your friend have in his Golf? 5G0035840?
There are many sub models to the Composition media that support RVC and other features such as App Connect and Voice command.

Easy way to tell the difference is via the hardware part number as well as a Voice button on the display instead of a Mute button on the non supporting models.

ptown

I'm assuming that the 1000 AUD cost includes a new control unit as the camera can be sourced for around 300 USD on eBay. Did they specify whats inuded in that price quote?

What hardware unit does your friend have in his Golf? 5G0035840?
There are many sub models to the Composition media that support RVC and other features such as App Connect and Voice command.

Easy way to tell the difference is via the hardware part number as well as a Voice button on the display instead of a Mute button on the non supporting models.

They just put 995 + GST but parts are expensive in Australia so I doubt they'd include a camera and unit for $1000. I'm not sure what he has but he defs doesn't have voice or app connect functions. If i was to see what connector it had would it be on the back of the touch screen or the cd player?

dr_mk7_il

Ready to race!
Camera usually connects to the unit in the glove box.

There are aftermarket solutions (such as android/nav) that hook up to the screens data feed and when triggered via one of the buttons on the dash take over the display. An RVC can be hooked up to it - thats what your friend might have (the dealer in Israel offers such installations)

But- he still might have a more advance unit with the app connect/voice features locked.
Best way to find out is check the hardware part number under the system info menu.

crashfile

Car(s)
Golf
Camera usually connects to the unit in the glove box.

There are aftermarket solutions (such as android/nav) that hook up to the screens data feed and when triggered via one of the buttons on the dash take over the display. An RVC can be hooked up to it - thats what your friend might have (the dealer in Israel offers such installations)

But- he still might have a more advance unit with the app connect/voice features locked.
Best way to find out is check the hardware part number under the system info menu.
Hi,

Would you be able to provide examples of such aftermarket solutions?

I have a 5G0035819A control unit and wanting to have a reverse camera as well.

Is this an example of such a solution?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Hi,

Would you be able to provide examples of such aftermarket solutions?

I have a 5G0035819A control unit and wanting to have a reverse camera as well.

Is this an example of such a solution?
Welcome to the forum. This is a pretty old thread and the guy you responded to hasn't been in the forum since March of this year so you might want to send him a private message to try and get his attention.