GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Steering Wheel wear after 10k miles

Bestcreator1

Car(s)
2018 Golf GTI
I recently purchased a used 2018 Golf GTI with 10k miles from my local Volkswagen dealer. Upon cleaning my steering wheel, I saw that there is some wear on the top of the steering wheel. I have since read that dealers will often put paint which comes off upon cleaning over worn spots in the steering wheel to make it look better. The car is still under warranty. Can I make a warranty claim of premature wear?

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
Get a wrap and stitch it on. Looks nicer that way anyway and the wraps are high quality

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
20200903_195826.jpg

SnailpowerMk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI SE 6SPD MT

That looks great. Where do you get a wrap like that? Assuming it is a much cheaper alternative than replacing the entire wheel with something similar? I've been researching that as well at this time because I really don't like the stock wheel. It feels too skinny and too slippery. A disappointment coming from the mk6 for sure...

wedding bands will absolutely wreck a steering wheel's leather for sure.

This. I got my 2017 GTI with 25k miles a couple weeks ago now and you can see the wedding band damage on it in the form of little lines around the 1-2 o clock position of the wheel. Sucks.