GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Steering wheel trim

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
So while I was outside walking around on the phone with my ISP (again..... internet is horrible with this company ), I walked by the gti's windshield and noticed this....

The chrome is pealing badly! Anyone else having this problem? I know the shifter trim was an issue for several people, but I haven't seen the steering wheel peeling like this before. Are there any aftermarket solutions that wont break the bank? Also, when changing this out, do I have to remove the airbag? I really dont feel comfortable doing that, but there is a first time for everything I guess.......

Attachments

• 20200603_191256.jpg
    20200603_191256.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 423

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Yes, you have to remove the airbag and buttons.

As far as not breaking the bank, I couldn't find anything under $100 unfortunately.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
Actually yes, get the ECS carbon fiber sterring wheel trim piece. Its amazing and perfectly covers all the chrome with one neat piece
20191112_155200.jpg

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
Oh yep thats the one. It adds 1-2mm in thickness but really looks good imo. Im super happy

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
As bad as it is peeling, would I peel off as much as I can to keep that one from bulging? I'm Not to worried about the old one as it is already ruined, just wanting it to look correct.

mrs1700

Sorry about the necro, but I came on to post a picture exactly like the OP's that I took this morning when I noticed my trim peeling (2016 GTI SE).

Is this the same type of trim as the one in the center console that cuts to the bone or a little more benign? If it's the same, I would imagine that VW would replace it for free as well?

If not it looks like there's plenty of aftermarket options out there.

cb1111

I would certainly take a photo, file a complaint with NHTSA (if in the US) and contact VW. I'd frame this as a safety issue