GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Steering Wheel Re-Trim Service

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Pretty annoying talking to them.. I've been trying to get a quote and i'll ask him like simple 3 questions and he'll reply with 1 sentence littered with spelling/grammar mistakes and answering none of my questions. I think im gonna stick with TAW Chicago unless he gets back to me, but appreciate the option OP. The wheel looks great.

They're $200 USD less, but i can already see why people have problems with their customer support or dealing with them after the fact.

You gotta learn how to speak their language.

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
I think I'm going with royal steering wheels as well. Communication is definitely not their strength but I'll deal with it given their price lol I think with the GBP exchange rate they quoted me $243 shipped for the job + $208 "refundable deposit" unless I decide to not send my core back to them. Considering international shipping will be like $50 and I could sell my wheel for way more than $150, I'm just gonna keep it so total is like $450. Haven't found anyone who does good quality work beat that price for the combo I want.

There was another guy out of LA doing them for like $395 shipped but you'd have to send your wheel in. Almost went with him until he started hard selling me, saying I needed to tell him right away or his price would go up because he's "flooded with new customers"....ya, no thanks, I don't like to be rushed on a sale. Good luck bro.

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
What would you guys go with from the following combos:

1) Perforated leather grips, smooth leather top/bottom, red stitching, integrated red rally stripe at 12.

2) Perforated leather grips, black alcantara top/bottom, red stitching, integrated red rally stripe at 12.

3) Black alcantara grips, smooth leather top/bottom, red stitching, integrated red rally stripe at 12.

I like the look of alcantara so I'm leaning more towards option 2 over 3 because I think the leather will hold up better in the parts I touch most (grips). Also considering 1 if alcantara is really as fragile as some people say. Don't know....

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
What would you guys go with from the following combos:

1) Perforated leather grips, smooth leather top/bottom, red stitching, integrated red rally stripe at 12.

2) Perforated leather grips, black alcantara top/bottom, red stitching, integrated red rally stripe at 12.

3) Black alcantara grips, smooth leather top/bottom, red stitching, integrated red rally stripe at 12.

I like the look of alcantara so I'm leaning more towards option 2 over 3 because I think the leather will hold up better in the parts I touch most (grips). Also considering 1 if alcantara is really as fragile as some people say. Don't know....

Alcantara is normally used for grip so if used it would look odd if not in the 3-9 position. I have heard different reviews that alcantara wears easily to holds up fine as long as you do not eat and touch the wheel while driving.

My choice:
1. Smooth leather top and bottom.
2. 12 o'clock red mark.
3. Perforated or alcantara at 3-9 position.
If you will keep car a long time, be safe and go with perforated.
Also add some thickness but I do like current wheel but my MK6 test drive did show how the prior wheel thickness was nice.

njswider

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 Golf R
So I heard back from them regarding an exchange. Best they can do is send me my new wheel in a couple weeks and have me ship mine back ASAP. I’m considering just keeping my core and paying the deposit at this point, as I agree with GreekFreak that it’s pretty cheap for a core.

They suggested using parcelmonkey.com saying they offer express 2-4 day shipping for $40. Haven’t looked into it yet but has anyone ever used this before? I’ve never even heard of it haha

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
Alcantara is normally used for grip so if used it would look odd if not in the 3-9 position. I have heard different reviews that alcantara wears easily to holds up fine as long as you do not eat and touch the wheel while driving.

My choice:
1. Smooth leather top and bottom.
2. 12 o'clock red mark.
3. Perforated or alcantara at 3-9 position.
If you will keep car a long time, be safe and go with perforated.
Also add some thickness but I do like current wheel but my MK6 test drive did show how the prior wheel thickness was nice.

Ya I hear you. I just wanted to do the leather at 3 and 9 for longevity sake while still having the alcantara on the rest but I guess that may look weird. I'm pretty careful with keeping my hands clean before touching the wheel so that doesn't worry me but do feel the alcantara will smooth out quickly even from regular gripping.

Have at least a few days to decide (given how slow they are at responding lol) so we'll see.

To everyone that goes through with this, please post pics as soon as you receive your wheel!

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Ya I hear you. I just wanted to do the leather at 3 and 9 for longevity sake while still having the alcantara on the rest but I guess that may look weird. I'm pretty careful with keeping my hands clean before touching the wheel so that doesn't worry me but do feel the alcantara will smooth out quickly even from regular gripping.

Have at least a few days to decide (given how slow they are at responding lol) so we'll see.

To everyone that goes through with this, please post pics as soon as you receive your wheel!

The wheel at the top of this thread has an Audi look for me.
So it is a safe option. But if one is going to mod, and we mod to be different then go Alcantara at the 3-9 position. If you can afford to redo in 2-3 years then go alcantara. Post up pics.

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=70&t=1098917

Jack Straw

Ready to race!
njswider,
Parcel Monkey is a "broker" of sorts offering services from several shippers at various price points. I used them to return my stock wheel and picked a service that cost about $50. The return took a week and my deposit was returned immediately.

njswider

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 Golf R
njswider,
Parcel Monkey is a "broker" of sorts offering services from several shippers at various price points. I used them to return my stock wheel and picked a service that cost about $50. The return took a week and my deposit was returned immediately.

Thanks, I’m gonna see if they’re willing to send me the wheel if I tell them to keep my deposit. Still think it’s a good deal especially for resale down the road.

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
How bad was the install?

Taking the wheel off/putting it on is easy (~5 minutes), its taking off the wheel trim off the old one to transfer to the new wheel that's a bit tricky. Just takes patience and a good trim removal tool (or a few in case you break one like I did). Took me about 45 minutes to remove the wheel trim as I was going super slow and pried carefully to avoid breaking any clips.

No broken clips and still one of my favorite mods on the car. In fact, this has been added to my "must do" mods for any future car that doesn't have the perfect steering wheel from the factory, alongside tinting the windows and upgraded tires. The GTI's steering wheel is pretty nice as is but this beefier upgraded one is absolutely perfect.

Royalsteeringwheels was great. Opted to just keep my steering wheel to have the option to swap it back on when the time comes to sell. Zero regrets, worth every penny.

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Taking the wheel off/putting it on is easy (~5 minutes), its taking off the wheel trim off the old one to transfer to the new wheel that's a bit tricky. Just takes patience and a good trim removal tool (or a few in case you break one like I did). Took me about 45 minutes to remove the wheel trim as I was going super slow and pried carefully to avoid breaking any clips.

I kept the steering wheel mounted to the column while removing the trim. Makes it a lot easier and quicker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uberjet

I'm definitely a fan of TAW now. The workmanship is impeccable. I went with a complete OEM+ look. Or, what I envisioned the wheel should have been from the factory. IMHO, the carbons/ perforated and alcanatara leathers are fine, but they don't exist anywhere else in an MK7 cabin. Just my two cents. One of my top three mods...

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
I'm definitely a fan of TAW now. The workmanship is impeccable. I went with a complete OEM+ look. Or, what I envisioned the wheel should have been from the factory. IMHO, the carbons/ perforated and alcanatara leathers are fine, but they don't exist anywhere else in an MK7 cabin. Just my two cents. One of my top three mods...
That looks great, wish my stitching was red. This looks very similar to my wheel. I've never known where mine was re-upholstered as I bought it off Ebay but your's makes me think TAW did it.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Don't have a picture in good lighting, but this is my TAW wheel. The center stripe(s) on the first one they sent me weren't perfectly aligned. I sent it back and they sent me a new one with no questions asked. I love the wheel and their service is great.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk