GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Steering knuckle

B3mt1

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk7 2.0TDI Hatch '16
Hi all,
I have Golf 7 2.0TDI and it has 50mm steel steering knuckle. As I plan to do shock upgrade to bilstein b6 I was thinking to do also steering knuckle upgrade.
Has any one done steering knuckle upgrade from steel one to aluminum one (50 to 55) and what were the benefits?
In theory compliance should be better because of the larger bearing, but how much of benefit it is and is it worth upgrade?

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Probably not worth it unless you have a set of brakes that won't bolt up to the steel knuckles. I would think you have to be a really experienced driver to notice that 5mm difference. Don't know what the weight comparison is but probably just as easy to go with lighter weight wheels.

GolfRRRR1

Go Kart Champion
I'm going from Golf R knuckle to CSS knuckle (things keep coming up pushing the project back), my advantage will be extra negative camber, they are both the 55mm. Are the Bilstein B6 55mm only?
As for your project, one thing I'm not sure on is the brakes, besides that it's an easy upgrade and like you said, bigger bearings. I think you will only need, bearings, bearing bolts (have to replace), pinch bolt, the three (per side) ball joint nuts. You may be able to reuse the rest. The knuckles should be cheap, buy used Golf R knuckles. Good luck.

B3mt1

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk7 2.0TDI Hatch '16
Yes, there are also 50mm bilsteins b6. My brakes are 288mm but i have ordered 312mm discs and i don't plan to upgrade them in any other way in future.
And that is pickle about deciding around this topic, basically going all in with css knuckle or not doing anything.
  1. CSS knuckle, around 350 dollars with bearings for one side, gaining some camber plus somewhat better steering feel
  2. Used 55mm knuckle with bearing from gti/r/q2 or what ever vag model, around 180 dollars per side, get somewhat better steering feel
  3. Stay on steel knuckle
  4. Golf 8 knuckle, as far as i see it same as from golf 7 just made from stronger aluminum, don't know the price but i asshme same cost as css option as there are no used options

Blondito

Car(s)
Mk7 1.8t
Yes, there are also 50mm bilsteins b6. My brakes are 288mm but i have ordered 312mm discs and i don't plan to upgrade them in any other way in future.
And that is pickle about deciding around this topic, basically going all in with css knuckle or not doing anything.
  1. CSS knuckle, around 350 dollars with bearings for one side, gaining some camber plus somewhat better steering feel
  2. Used 55mm knuckle with bearing from gti/r/q2 or what ever vag model, around 180 dollars per side, get somewhat better steering feel
  3. Stay on steel knuckle
  4. Golf 8 knuckle, as far as i see it same as from golf 7 just made from stronger aluminum, don't know the price but i asshme same cost as css option as there are no used options
Did it end up working if you went to 55mm knuckles ? I’m looking to do the same

B3mt1

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk7 2.0TDI Hatch '16
Did it end up working if you went to 55mm knuckles ? I’m looking to do the same
In the end I have done the option 2. So 55mm alu knuckle from gti/gtd golf 7 and first bilstein b4 and then year later bilstein b8 comfort.
If I would do it today I would go with golf 8 knuckle because with bearing you could get them for 200 euros on ebay or even better golf r which apparently increases camber.
Is it a benefit that upgrade, small, so huge cost but small perceviable gain in suspension compliance.