GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

stealth exhaust with downpipe?

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
Mine's quieter probably. I have an OEM Golf R DP with all cats intact and a bone stock Sportwagen catback. I don't know if this is classified as stage 1 or 2, because the DP is definitely an upgrade over the factory 1.8T DP and I'm also running the stage 2 tune?

hahahah you got me there.. if i had a stock downpipe i would be way quieter than stock even...

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
Cat in the stock position (by the turbo), Magnaflow 12646 in place of the stock resonator, and stock axle back muffler is very quiet. I honestly believe that the exhaust is as quiet as stock, and the only perceived loudness increase I experience is cabin noise due to stiffer motor mounts.

The only drawback is you're DSG isn't going to audibly flatulent, and pops and burbles will be muted quite a bit.

i gotta doubt yours is as quiet as stock, since i have one additional resonator over you, and mine is still deeper and a tad louder than stock. its been so long now, maybe i forgot what stock sounds like...

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
i gotta doubt yours is as quiet as stock, since i have one additional resonator over you, and mine is still deeper and a tad louder than stock. its been so long now, maybe i forgot what stock sounds like...
Depends on what resonator. Just having another resonator isn't going to help much if it isn't better than the OEM one. I have 2 resonators, cat, and stock muffler. It's still pretty loud under load. No one would ever confuse it for stock unless I was cruising in 6th at 60.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
Depends on what resonator. Just having another resonator isn't going to help much if it isn't better than the OEM one. I have 2 resonators, cat, and stock muffler. It's still pretty loud under load. No one would ever confuse it for stock unless I was cruising in 6th at 60.

its like for like, but i have a resonator in my downpipe he doesnt have. with everything else about the same. although you are on the right track, as when i swap that downpipe res for my delete pipe in that position, it doesnt make a huge difference in sound. the center catback resonator is what makes 80% of the difference, when comparing stock with only has 20 perf holes to our replacements which have 50X as many perf holes. on topic, tonight i plan to swedge out a catback i have in stock with original resonator, to try it out on my system again. i need a reminder how it sounded. then i can further tune it with that downpipe res i mentioned.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
its like for like, but i have a resonator in my downpipe he doesnt have. with everything else about the same. although you are on the right track, as when i swap that downpipe res for my delete pipe in that position, it doesnt make a huge difference in sound. the center catback resonator is what makes 80% of the difference, when comparing stock with only has 20 perf holes to our replacements which have 50X as many perf holes. on topic, tonight i plan to swedge out a catback i have in stock with original resonator, to try it out on my system again. i need a reminder how it sounded. then i can further tune it with that downpipe res i mentioned.
What extra resonator do you have now? if it's a small one that is why when you swap it for open pipe you don't hear much difference. This is mine. It "helps" but probably not a lot. It's just not big enough.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
My downpipe res is a lot bigger than that..

Attachments

• unnamed.png
    unnamed.png
    878.8 KB · Views: 180

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
And yeah under load might be a different story. I kind of forget what stock sounds like as well. I do know the mid-pipe stock res replacement was a huge difference in normal driving volume.

bdelaney4000

Ready to race!
If I could chime in here, I have a catted downpipe to a vibrant 17930 and the stock catback and it's pretty darn quiet. On cold starts its noticeable but one it's warmed up you'd never know it's not stock until you get on it. I had the DP hooked up with the complete stock catback and the drone wasn't bad but it was noticeable to point of being annoying. The vibrant resonator killed all of that and also mellowed the tone out. I think a setup similar to this with a large center resonator and stock muffler will be the best addition to a DP if you're going for the "under the radar" setup.

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
Adding a muffler.

According to numerous posts by members of this board, the stock muffler is not a restriction, even on a big turbo setup. The Magnaflow is a larger than stock, straight through tube with packing around it.
My system has an APR catted downpipe, a Vibrant resonator and a Magnaflow muffler, all of which are 3" straight through tubing.

If I add the stock muffler (which is not a restriction) after the Magnaflow muffler(which is even less of a restriction), what part will be a restriction? :unsure:
The only negatives are additional weight and the possibility that it won't sound good, or the car burns to the ground in the exhaust shop.

bdelaney4000

Ready to race!
The stock muffler is a restriction it's just not bad enough to cause issues with even big turbos. Going from a 3" down to a 2.55 is a reduction and because the stock muffler is not a flow through design it's also restricting flow to some degree, but that's in part where the sound reduction comes from.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
According to numerous posts by members of this board, the stock muffler is not a restriction, even on a big turbo setup. The Magnaflow is a larger than stock, straight through tube with packing around it.
My system has an APR catted downpipe, a Vibrant resonator and a Magnaflow muffler, all of which are 3" straight through tubing.

If I add the stock muffler (which is not a restriction) after the Magnaflow muffler(which is even less of a restriction), what part will be a restriction? :unsure:
The only negatives are additional weight and the possibility that it won't sound good, or the car burns to the ground in the exhaust shop.
Jim’s reference of adding restriction is on a fundamental basis and is correct. While yes it’s clear that stock mufflers causing or reducing (when removed) restrictions in the system are indeed negligible in regards to power +\- in regards to what we feel on the butt dyno. The stock muffler does indeed impose a restriction as does the catalytic converters, but again will it be something you notice powerwise probably not...so the benefits for your scenario (DB reductions) out weight any perceived negatives.