GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Status of Charge (SOC) unreliable!

Pbrowne

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2021 GTI
I can get the battery's SOC by pushing and holding 0.0 button with the ignition turned off. However, the value displayed is totally inaccurate. When showing 100%, I've have had an almost dead battery. When showing 0%, I have had an almost fully charged battery.

The SOC function seems to be totally unreliable. Anyone else have the same experience? Any corrective action that I can take?

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
I can get the battery's SOC by pushing and holding 0.0 button with the ignition turned off. However, the value displayed is totally inaccurate. When showing 100%, I've have had an almost dead battery. When showing 0%, I have had an almost fully charged battery.

The SOC function seems to be totally unreliable. Anyone else have the same experience? Any corrective action that I can take?

So logic would dictate that the figures shown are % to discharge :rolleyes:
Why would you have a nearly flat battery?

ColinStone

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII 2016 Match BM
My SOC only reads "---". VW UK claim that display is only for GTEs.

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
My SOC only reads "---". VW UK claim that display is only for GTEs.

Mine worked when I last tried it, but I didn't have to go through a complicated procedure like the OP described, it was just in the menu, but to clarify, the status of charge is a measurment of charge, so a depleted battery would require near 100% and a full battery wouldn't require any charging 0%.

vwman

Go Kart Champion
Mine worked when I last tried it, but I didn't have to go through a complicated procedure like the OP described, it was just in the menu, but to clarify, the status of charge is a measurment of charge, so a depleted battery would require near 100% and a full battery wouldn't require any charging 0%.

My SOC shows 70% on leaving the car for a few weeks.
On return and a couple of days of use it rises to a 80% SOC indicating a better state of charge.

I think if we are talking about the actual read out its not the amount of charge required but the SOC at that point in time.

DV52

Drag Racing Champion

Pbrowne: My (totally unproven) theory is that the SOC figure is derived from the mk7's internal calculation of "system voltage" (which is not the same a battery voltage). So the accuracy of the reading is entirely dependent on whether activities like battery charging with an external device is conducted correctly to the car. Please don't take this to mean that I think that you have done this incorrectly on your car.

What I mean is- if the battery charger's negative lead is attached incorrectly, then the battery monitor module won't see the charging current and therefore the SOC will not register the quantity of AMP-Hours that has been put into the battery. As I said, just a theory !!

Don

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
So you don't need to hold the 0.0 button?

No, I definately saw it in the regular menu, I have never pressed the 0.0 button on my car, as I wanted to see what the trip counter went up to, 10k before it resets itself to 0.0

Geomets

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf mk7 GTI
No, I definately saw it in the regular menu, I have never pressed the 0.0 button on my car, as I wanted to see what the trip counter went up to, 10k before it resets itself to 0.0

Your trip counter won't reset if you make two steps.
1. Insert the key (do not turn it)
2. Press the 0.0 and keep it pressed. It will cycle to Time, then State Of Charge.
Release the 0.0 button, your trip counter will resume to what it was before and it will reveal the requested percentage.
The infotainment unit in my car (European-spec like yours) does not have such a figure. Maybe it's a KESSY feature? (if I recall correctly you have KESSY?)

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
Your trip counter won't reset if you make two steps.
1. Insert the key (do not turn it)
2. Press the 0.0 and keep it pressed. It will cycle to Time, then State Of Charge.
Release the 0.0 button, your trip counter will resume to what it was before and it will reveal the requested percentage.
The infotainment unit in my car (European-spec like yours) does not have such a figure. Maybe it's a KESSY feature? (if I recall correctly you have KESSY?)

Yes I have Kessy, when I go to the car I will check but it was in the regular menu.