GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Startup engine noise -- this isnt the normal start up noise, right?

xkeyscore

Passed Driver's Ed
I used to think this was "normal" for these cars, but Saturday I was at a party with other Rs and mine is the only one that makes this noise in the first few seconds of start up.

Once the car circulates oil for a few seconds the sound will not recur until it has been sitting for a while -- not necessarily "cold" -- but perhaps long enough for oil to escape from the top end.

https://youtu.be/egMqyS0m4ek

What do you guys think?

29whitty

I've always associated this with the valves not being warm so not fully seating and "chattering". I could be wrong, but I've had a noise like this on my Cadi ATS 2.0 T and my old SS Cobalt prior to this VW R and all do it, i think its DI / turbo car things ? again could be wrong but doesn't sound "bad" to me.

LVGolfR

Passed Driver's Ed
I have the same exact sound. As soon as the SAI stops, it rattles for 10 seconds and then stops. I used to think it was the engine cover, but I ruled that out. Interested in more info.

Ton

Go Kart Newbie
Car is loud AF because of secondary air injection, direct injection and valve train noise all combined. My car used to honk like a clown at the end of it all. But that stopped at about 15k miles.

Lots going on at startup that conspires to make the engine sound like it's failing.

xkeyscore

Passed Driver's Ed
Car is loud AF because of secondary air injection, direct injection and valve train noise all combined. My car used to honk like a clown at the end of it all. But that stopped at about 15k miles.

Lots going on at startup that conspires to make the engine sound like it's failing.

Thanks, but the other Rs I compared it to sat just as long or longer than mine did and mine is the only one with the thud thud thud sound. The other owners looked me like I was sitting on a stick of dynamite.

Let's hear your car, for example. Does it sound like mine?

Ton

Go Kart Newbie
Thanks, but the other Rs I compared it to sat just as long or longer than mine did and mine is the only one with the thud thud thud sound. The other owners looked me like I was sitting on a stick of dynamite.

Let's hear your car, for example. Does it sound like mine?

Mine sounds very junky when cold. Or at restart. Much like your clip. I could send you a clip but I don't have a YouTube account.

Do you have a longer clip? Are you recording under the hood? Hood up? Inside the car?

xkeyscore

Passed Driver's Ed
Mine sounds very junky when cold. Or at restart. Much like your clip. I could send you a clip but I don't have a YouTube account.

Do you have a longer clip? Are you recording under the hood? Hood up? Inside the car?

That clip was hood up with the phone near the ambient air temp sensor. After the first three seconds it sounds like the last three seconds until you turn it off or feed it some gas.

xkeyscore

Passed Driver's Ed
Dealer opened a techline case. VW sent an engineer out to look at the car. Thus far they approved a valve adjustment and checking the sump for metal.

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
Sounds to me like the normal hydraulic tappet sound, it takes a second for the oil to get in there.

gregozedobe

Battle scarred veteran
Sounds to me like the normal hydraulic tappet sound, it takes a second for the oil to get in there.

Sounds like a hydraulic tappet that has drained down to me too. None of my 3 VAG vehicles do that at start up, and a couple of them might sit for weeks between start-ups.

GLoBaLReBeL

Ready to race!
I could totally be wrong, but that sounds like way more valve train noise then normal. But then again, on my 16' GTI, I get a hint of it at startup, but after 1 second it goes quiet and then just slowly drops in RPM after the engine has warmed up enough.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
Had a noise similar to this on start-up when I had my MK6.
Dealer ended up replacing timing chain tensioners/guides under warranty.

xkeyscore

Passed Driver's Ed
I know it is not normal. I was at a party and there were some other R owners. I started mine and they looked at me like I was sitting on a time bomb. Three other Rs were then started and none of them sounded like mine. That sound doesn’t always present. Sometimes it can happen in just twenty minutes of sitting. Sometimes it doesn’t happen after two hours of sitting. It does however sound louder on an incline.

My first guess was something wrong with the oil pump or the one way check valve that allows the oil to drain but VW isn’t going in that direction.