GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Starter System Faulty

SteepleStu

Today I drove my Mk7 Golf. TDI bluemotion. When I parked up and applied the electronic handbrake. I went to turn the key to shutdown the car. The key turned as normal but the engine did not cut off and with the key in my hand still the engine was still running. On the dash it read 'Starter System Faulty'. I had to stall the car to cut the engine but all the electrics are still on.

Has anyone else experienced this issue and what did you do to resolve the problem.

Kindest regards.

Stuart

gregozedobe

Battle scarred veteran
Did you try inserting the key and switching on and off ?

There have been a few issues with the electronic side of the ignition switch, but I can't recall reading of your specific problem. Maybe the key isn't rotating the contacts on the back side of the ignition switch that control the electric side of things.

SteepleStu

Thank you for your reply sir.

Yeah I did try that, but nothing still. I can stall the engine when it's in gear and cut it off. I can then restart the engine with the key, but then problem persists. When rotating the key back to shut it down, the engine still runs and wont shutdown the whole car. I will hopefully be getting it looked at professionally at a garage tomorrow but have been unsure what else to do till then, was hoping for a quick fix if I could.

Kind regards

Stuart.

SteepleStu

UPDATE !!!!!!

So, I took it to a garage yesterday and he found the fault. It was a ignition switch that had faulted. Its cost me £70 for the switch and a bit more for labour to get it sorted and fixed. The mechanic had seen the problem before but only on older models of Golfs, not on a Mk7. But be aware it could be an issue to look out for guys.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
UPDATE !!!!!!

So, I took it to a garage yesterday and he found the fault. It was a ignition switch that had faulted. Its cost me £70 for the switch and a bit more for labour to get it sorted and fixed. The mechanic had seen the problem before but only on older models of Golfs, not on a Mk7. But be aware it could be an issue to look out for guys.

Weren't you still under warranty?