GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Starter or battery problems

Chubbs_mk7

Car(s)
2017 VW GTI
Hey y’all

so this morning I had my car in the on position just to charge my phone for a little bit without having the car fully on. I’ve had my car in the accessory position (I think it’s called that) while watching a movie at the drive ins and the car would start right up after a couple hours. No issues at all. But today while I just had my phone charging the car wouldn’t turn on afterwords. I would turn the key and I would only hear one click that’s it. I had a portable car charger and it charged the car right up. I tried recreating the situation leaving the car in the on position and it hesitated a little bit but it turned on. Took it to o’Reillys and they tested the battery and they said it had a 100% charge, alternator and starter were also given according to the guy. Checked cables and fuses and all good. Any suggestions? (2017 mk7) Thanks in advance!

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Hey y’all

so this morning I had my car in the on position just to charge my phone for a little bit without having the car fully on. I’ve had my car in the accessory position (I think it’s called that) while watching a movie at the drive ins and the car would start right up after a couple hours. No issues at all. But today while I just had my phone charging the car wouldn’t turn on afterwords. I would turn the key and I would only hear one click that’s it. I had a portable car charger and it charged the car right up. I tried recreating the situation leaving the car in the on position and it hesitated a little bit but it turned on. Took it to o’Reillys and they tested the battery and they said it had a 100% charge, alternator and starter were also given according to the guy. Checked cables and fuses and all good. Any suggestions? (2017 mk7) Thanks in advance!
Did O'Reillys do a load test? If not get that done. It's probably a weak battery.

Chubbs_mk7

Car(s)
2017 VW GTI
Did O'Reillys do a load test? If not get that done. It's probably a weak battery.
Yeah, they checked everything. I drove the car about 30 minutes before getting it to o’Reilly’s and get the battery was good. The car was still hesitating to turn on a few times after though. This morning it did the same. I turned off the car and I went I came to a conclusion that I’m just going to try and figure what it is. The screen even displayed “turning off due to 12v battery discharging” something along those lines.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
You just pulled to much power from the 12v:) be careful with that. Whenever charging something, have the car running
There's no way charging a phone is going to deplete the battery. He needs to do a load test. I'm betting the battery is getting weak.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Yeah, they checked everything. I drove the car about 30 minutes before getting it to o’Reilly’s and get the battery was good. The car was still hesitating to turn on a few times after though. This morning it did the same. I turned off the car and I went I came to a conclusion that I’m just going to try and figure what it is. The screen even displayed “turning off due to 12v battery discharging” something along those lines.
I do not think they did a load test. Their battery tester has a feature that allows a load to be applied to the battery and if it passes that test it's okay. But based on what you've said it won't pass a load test.

Last edited:

Chubbs_mk7

Car(s)
2017 VW GTI
I do not think they did a load test. Their battery tester has a feature that allows a load to be applied to the battery and if it passes that test it's okay.
I went to my trusty friends at auto zone and they definitely verified that the battery was done. Didn’t pass the load test and just had to buy another one. It’s working again! Thank you so much for the help.

Chubbs_mk7

Car(s)
2017 VW GTI
I do not think they did a load test. Their battery tester has a feature that allows a load to be applied to the battery and if it passes that test it's okay. But based on what you've said it won't pass a load test.
I got that done yesterday after seeing everyones for sure! I read how the oem battery doesn’t last too long.