GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Start/Stop tdi USA

Drewpul

Car(s)
Golf Sportwagen TDI
Hi!

After many years of wanting one, I FINALLY picked up a sportwagen tdi over the weekend and love it!

I want the Start/Stop feature, and based on my search, it doesn't appear anyone has attempted to add this to an american mk7.

What is the best website to compare parts numbers of Euro cars vs American cars? I'm curious to learn what parts are actually different. Is the starter different, or are the physical components the same...just needing to be coded in VCDS.

Ps, I know this is an unpopular mod, but my goal it to see if I can get better mpg than I did in my Prius. And it just pains me burning all that extra fuel at stop lighta. But at least the beautiful diesel clatter consoles me

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
For comparing parts, for free, ilcats.ru is okay. Takes some time to get used to it. Or better yet temporarily subscribe to www.partslink24.com and look parts up there. I would go for the month at $30 versus the $10 for one day.

As for what you're actually trying to do, there is coding involved. That's going to all be secondary to the hardware.

I know for sure you need the battery monitoring module and the start stop center console button... with wiring added for each of those. VW might spec a different battery type as well. And for other hardware I'm not sure, so that's where your parts research will come in.

If you go through with it please keep us updated. I have no feelings either way about start-stop but I'm always down for a retrofit.

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
Mod instinct, reactivated 🚨

I want to add start/stop to my manual gti now because of this post 😁 Started looking on ilcats and looks like you need to swap out the battery negative cable to 5Q0915181J, seems simple enough. Then, two wires need to be added, one to a fuse in the engine fuse box for 12V power, and the other joins into the LIN wire that goes from the alternator to the gateway, if I’m looking at the diagrams right.

For the starter, I saw different part numbers for with and without start/stop. I would bet the car doesn’t really care what starter you have, it’s just that a normal starter will break faster than the start/stop starter(?) I’m thinking of not changing the starter at first, maybe it’ll still work 🤷‍♂️

I have not looked at the wiring or parts for the Auto Start/Stop button yet. And no clue about the coding other than I know a ton of modules have a start/stop enable or disable bit in the long coding. So.. maybe set all of those to active and see if it works?

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Start/Stop button, E693, wiring goes to the BCM, Plug C pins 51 and 60. If you don't care about the button being able to turn orange you don't actually need the wire to pin 51. But you're already adding wire so it's no added work. Plus if you don't want it to turn orange when start/stop is deactivated you leave that coding out. There's a selection for "amber light installed" or something like that. Speaking of coding it's in the BCM for the switch... adaptations for your facelift BCM types.

1679932022850.png

And like you said, lots of other modules have coding flags for start/stop. Would just be a matter of going through those modules... or seeing what modules complain about incorrect coding once you enable start/stop in the gateway. LIN and 12V power to the battery monitor, J367, is easy enough... now I'm thinking about this :rolleyes:.

If you're a little patient there are several of these things on eBay from the EU for under $50. Not a big investment to experiment.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
No start/stop in the NAR Mk7 TDI's so I'll have to do some digging to find a starter part number. TDI has a 2.0 Kw starter compared to the 1.1 Kw starter in the gassers which makes sense given the compression ratios. But that of course says nothing about any duty cycle/longevity concerns if adding start/stop. I suppose it would be harder on a battery though, and I'm running a Lithium... not that I can't switch back to an AGM or something.

Edit: Scratch the part number "problem" from the list...
Mk7 TDI, no start/stop, PR Code G0K (6-speed manual) and 7L3 (without start/stop) - PN 02M911024M installed in my car now
Mk7 TDI, with start stop, PR Code G0K (6-speed manual) and 7L6 (start/stop with regen braking) - PN 02M911024S This is the correct starter, would have to source from EU somewhere
- PR 7L6 with regen braking" apparently has to do with our "smart" alternators, not to be confused with EV type regen braking

Last edited:

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
Start/Stop button, E693, wiring goes to the BCM, Plug C pins 51 and 60. If you don't care about the button being able to turn orange you don't actually need the wire to pin 51. But you're already adding wire so it's no added work. Plus if you don't want it to turn orange when start/stop is deactivated you leave that coding out. There's a selection for "amber light installed" or something like that. Speaking of coding it's in the BCM for the switch... adaptations for your facelift BCM types.
Hell yeah, thanks! So, do you have to swap out all 3 buttons as a unit to get the S/S button? Or is the S/S button available on its own. Been a while since I opened up the center console lol. And agreed, it’s worth adding both wires since you’d already be adding one.

I see the gateway has some stuff like Sollverbau BDM, start/stopp, and also recuperation. It would be cool if recuperation worked, from what I read it uses the alternator to charge up the battery more when you’re decelerating or something.

now I'm thinking about this
I’m glad you guys started the conversation, I kinda wish the manuals got start stop. I know 99% of people want to get rid of it permanently 😂 but imo I think it’s a better experience on manuals. Since it goes by the clutch, not the brake.

Maybe try checking some Europe TDI parts to see if there’s a starter difference? I’m sure they had/have it over there. I’m kind of surprised, compared to other stuff on the car, the starters aren’t that expensive tbh.

And luckily for me I already have the battery part of the equation done since I changed mine to an H6 AGM for the Webasto.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
@2018gti In a little digging on MQB vehicles with start/stop I'm only seeing the 7L6 PR (start/stop with regen). There exists PR code 7L5 (start/stop without regen) but I don't see it anywhere on the MQBs. I assume we all have the "smart" alternators since they are LIN bus connected, and the gateway can/should be coded so the alternator knows what type of battery is in there and can charge accordingly.

You will need to get the center console switches that have all 3 buttons. If you currently have a blank there it's not actually a button. Since you already have switches there you'll only need to add the two wires to the connector. The rest of the wiring (ground, background lighting) is already there and common with the other buttons.

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
I assume we all have the "smart" alternators since they are LIN bus connected

That makes sense, I was wondering the same thing with the PR codes. “Regen braking” sounded fancy like what EVs have - I guess they just meant the alternator.

You will need to get the center console switches that have all 3 buttons. If you currently have a blank there it's not actually a button. Since you already have switches there you'll only need to add the two wires to the connector. The rest of the wiring (ground, background lighting) is already there and common with the other buttons.

Awesome, thank you for clarifying. So just 2 new wires. I think I found the right # for the button set, 5G1927137P.

The only thing left I think is the wiring.. How to find the plug that goes into the battery monitor. It looks a lot like the exhaust valve actuator plugs to me 🤔 Also the right type of pin to plug into the BCM. And tapping into the alternator wire will be interesting 😬

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
That makes sense, I was wondering the same thing with the PR codes. “Regen braking” sounded fancy like what EVs have - I guess they just meant the alternator.

Awesome, thank you for clarifying. So just 2 new wires. I think I found the right # for the button set, 5G1927137P.

The only thing left I think is the wiring.. How to find the plug that goes into the battery monitor. It looks a lot like the exhaust valve actuator plugs to me 🤔 Also the right type of pin to plug into the BCM. And tapping into the alternator wire will be interesting 😬

There is the "TML - Left Engine Compartment coupling point" where you can pick up that LIN wire, plug T4dd/e. Looks like it's under the battery tray, so a short run.
In a quick search (while at work) I couldn't find a part number for the connector, but I ordered a $30 5Q0915181J from eBay, with a cutoff plug on it so I'll be able to get a part number when it shows up, 2 weeks allegedly.

1679952770003.png

As for the part numbers... 5G1927137P should be right, that's what I have in my car. I currently have the start/stop buttons wired to something else (external soundaktor) but I don't need it for that function, just didn't want the button to be useless. I can turn off external soundaktor via drive mode selection.

Snip...

Item No. 15:-
5G1927137R
control panel with pushbuttons (Blank / Blank / ESC OFF)
5G1927137S
control panel with pushbuttons (Blank / Eco Stop-Start / ESC OFF)
5G1927137AA
control panel with pushbuttons (Driving MODE / Blank / ESC OFF)
5G1927137P
control panel with pushbuttons (Driving MODE / Eco Stop-Start / ESC OFF)

Other variants for reference:-
5G1927137T control panel with pushbuttons (Blank / Eco Stop-Start / Blank)
5G1927137N control panel with pushbuttons (Driving MODE / Eco Stop-Start / Blank)

Add WZU to the end of the code for satin black buttons with aluminum trim between them.

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
There is the "TML - Left Engine Compartment coupling point" where you can pick up that LIN wire, plug T4dd/e. Looks like it's under the battery tray, so a short run.
That’s good, the wires are going to the same general spot then.

Took a chance with the battery module connector after I zoomed in on some eBay pics and ordered 07P973702. It looks identical so hopefully it’s the right one.

This is gonna be a fun one 👍

Update: I’m making a lot of parts mistakes in this one, the right plug is 4F0973702, without the A on the end. The A version also goes by 07P973702 I guess, and it technically fits, but the locking tab is on the “wrong” side. Aka the locking tab is basically right up against the battery which I think would make it harder to plug and unplug.

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Yesterday I was "stuck" looking for 1J0973702, but I couldn't find a picture that was good enough... part I ordered has a tracking number, coming from Latvia.

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
@Cuzoe erm.. 😬 I just got my battery module in the mail and now notice that it's different from the ones I've seen online in GTIs. The wire is also a lot shorter. Ugh. Not sure if it's gonna fit, but maybe it's just an older version or something.

I looked on parts.vw.com too and it's super unhelpful. All the links are to negatives cables that have no module on them. I did find 5QA915181D which seems promising, though all the eBay listings say Atlas, Tiguan, or Q3. If someone with start/stop could take a look to see what they have, that would be really nice.. I think 5Q0915181K may be the one for Golfs, or at least the one that matches the pictures.

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
@2018gti Well that's no good... I looked for 2019 Golf R DSG, and still found 5Q0915181J
https://parts.vw.com/p/Volkswagen_2...NIT-MONITOR-Negative/65932252/5Q0915181J.html

If you don't mind, can you post a pic of the cable you received?

The "J" model, per parts.vw.com (not always helpful) says it fits the 2018/2019 Golf R but only the 2017 GTI's... while the "K" model fits 2018-2021 GTI's, and no pre-2018 other models so basically fits facelift everything. Your car would fall into the "K" model range.
https://parts.vw.com/p/Volkswagen_2...ntrol-Battery-Module/75762840/5Q0915181K.html

Mine, although the TDI's never came with start/stop on this side of the pond, would fall into the J model. It is odd that the J would still be chosen for a 2019 Golf R, which is a facelift car. Cable length I suppose must differ, but even that is strange as the battery is in the same place on all these cars.

Last edited:

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
but even that is strange as the battery is in the same place on all these cars.
Yeah I think I got a little ahead of myself lol. Just need to test fit it to see if it works. I mentioned the wire looked shorter but that makes sense because the terminal is shaped differently on the J vs the K. My listing said it was from a 2017 A3, and that’s an MQB, so it should be all the same underneath.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Yeah, looking at the various pictures out there the D/G/J/K is printed on the actual module. Typically I would expect VW to show that J has been replaced by K but they do not show it that way. So either lengths are different (which I think we agree would be strange) or the newer modules are somehow (software wise?) not fully compatible with the older vehicles.

I would suspect it to be tied to gateway software, which is a moot point for me as I have a facelift gateway running late software... and you have a facelift car. I would expect you'll be good with either J or K. The K is cheaper anyway... less $20 more than I paid for the used J from Latvia :rolleyes:.