GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Start stop system - confused

RTID75

Passed Driver's Ed
How is it supposed to work?

I gather that it doesn't work straight away from a cold start, but I can drive 10 to 12 miles, probably stop 20 times, and not have it activate once.

If, when stopped, I press the button by the gear lever to off and straight back to on again the engine normally stops. Why does it do it then but not if left to its own devices.?

To begin with it seemed to be turning itself off on its own TOO much, now it seems to have all but stopped! Do I have a problem?

The car screen says it's active, btw.

Last edited:

evilfish5000

Passed Driver's Ed
Engine needs to warm up 1st takes about for me around 1.5 miles also the battery needs to have sufficient charge which is built up by normal driving and braking.When you pull up apply the brake till hill hold lights up, take car out of gear then realise the clutch then the engine should stop.

Sootchucker

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI (2018)
Next time you pull up, try pressing the HVAC "OFF" button. It's surprising how much juice the heating system takes in winter even with AC off.

If I do that, then so longer at the temp needle is at least half way between cold and normal, it will usually engage.

RTID75

Passed Driver's Ed
Drove yesterday about 6 miles and it worked on its own twice. I suspect it was because it was warmer and I didn't have the heater on. I'll keep an eye on it.

Spinstorm

Ready to race!
I find this really annoying in london traffic. I turn it off most of the time.

I understand it saves fuel and is more efficient but In the 2 seconds it takes to turn back on in london my space to pull out is gone or some idiot is honking/tail gating me.

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
Remember if the rear heated screen, mirrors, climate control or other things are drawing too much current the Stop/Start will not work. The "Car" screen on the Discovery system will tell you why it is not activating when you press the Stop/Start icon..