GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Start button not always working

I have a TDI, which requires the glowplug to warm before a start sequence is initiated. One push and the screen shows "engine starting" which may take up to three seconds before the starter engages. No need to hold the button down. As with the others, I suspect an interface glitch that is not related to the fob. My fob gets cold [yeah, you can play with that statement] and sometimes doesn't link right away. The dash indicates there is not a correct key within the correct distance. Hope this helps.

chiefhiawatha

Ready to race!
Push button start is the worst. I had a 3 series with it. At least in that car you still inserted the fob.

I rented a car that had a start button but no place to put the key. I was always looking for the damn key.

“I know I have the key because I got in the damn car now where did I put the thing, I have to lock this Mazda or Nissan or whatever this rental is”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
Hmm interesting info.
My '15 GTI S does not have push button start but the wife has a '17 Tiguan and the push button start drives me crazy!
Like others have mentioned, in other cars you can just quickly push it down and the car will fire up.
But in the VW you actually have to hold it until the motor actually fires up!
Half the time it wont even start the first time and I have to push it down a second time.

adam1991

Banned
ummmm.....why don't you just leave it in your pocket?

Dunno why you'd ever take it out in the first place, let alone wonder where to put it.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Like others have mentioned, in other cars you can just quickly push it down and the car will fire up.
But in the VW you actually have to hold it until the motor actually fires up!

I've *never* done this in my R - just a quick press, and the car cranks over as long as it needs to and it starts. Every time.

chiefhiawatha

Ready to race!
ummmm.....why don't you just leave it in your pocket?

Dunno why you'd ever take it out in the first place, let alone wonder where to put it.

You clearly don’t spend half your waking hours looking for your phone keys or wallet. Sickness is the answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

raylanelliot

I have a TDI, which requires the glowplug to warm before a start sequence is initiated. One push and the screen shows "engine starting" which may take up to three seconds before the starter engages. No need to hold the button down. As with the others, I suspect an interface glitch that is not related to the fob. My fob gets cold [yeah, you can play with that statement] and sometimes doesn't link right away. The dash indicates there is not a correct key within the correct distance. Hope this helps.

Interesting.

I have been getting a Keyless Access Faulty error message occasionally...

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
Old thread that I see I responded in so I guess I can update.
Dealer ended up replacing the whole button assembly in my wife's old Tiguan.