GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Start button not always working

eddiekranc

Ready to race!
Not sure if this is the right section but recently my push to start button isn't working at times. I thought it was probably due to the clutch stop but even without it, it misses. Sometimes goes first try. I manage to get it to work every time now by just holding it down and it will start after a sec. now sure if anyone else is having this issue. I mean it knows I'm pressing it cause it like acts like I pressed it without the clutch pressed but won't ignite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sherifftruman

Ready to race!
I'm in an auto and that happens every once in a while to me too. It will light up the gauges and everything else, but won't start, sometimes, I swear it almost turns over a TINY bit but stops. Doing it again makes it start. Maybe I'm hitting it and letting off just a bit too fast.

eddiekranc

Ready to race!
They're new lol don't think it's the fob cause it's quick to turn on the battery. It's just the actual ignition

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

raylanelliot

Are you still experiencing this?

I am a new 2017 Golf Wolfsburg Edition owner, and I am having this "issue".

The reason I am putting quotes around it, is because it may be user error. See, every other car I've owned with push button start I just quickly press the button and the engine starts.

I'm thinking with this car, you must hold the button until the engine starts. I had it in the dealer 3 times for this issue within a month of owning it. I would say 10% of the time I try starting the engine, it would try to turn over for a split second, then immediately go into accessory mode.

I was the one who suggested to the dealer that perhaps...you have to just hold the button until it starts. They then told me that is true...

I figured that could be a potentially easy way for the dealer to get out of fixing a problem since I suggested it, so I wanted to see if anyone could confirm my theory that you must hold the button until it starts.

After I have started holding the button, I haven't had the issue.

Last edited:

adam1991

Banned
Not sure if this is the right section but recently my push to start button isn't working at times. I thought it was probably due to the clutch stop but even without it, it misses. Sometimes goes first try. I manage to get it to work every time now by just holding it down and it will start after a sec. now sure if anyone else is having this issue. I mean it knows I'm pressing it cause it like acts like I pressed it without the clutch pressed but won't ignite.

There is no question in my mind that this is a matter of the clutch interlock.

My guess is, as you're pressing harder and holding onto the button, you're also--consciously or unconsciously--pressing harder on the clutch. So this is either a failure of the part, or it needs an adjustment.

chiefhiawatha

Ready to race!
Mine was doing this and then I realized the clutch stop I just installed was the culprit. Just have to push harder. This doesn’t sound like the cause for the OP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dervdave

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf MK7 GTD
My start button was also sticking (not starting) and replaced under warranty

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
You can't just quickly press it, you need to hold it for about a second before you let go.

I had the same "issue". It's my first push-button start and I wasn't holding the button long enough. I got the same thing everyone said, that the starter just blipped for a split second, or nothing happened.

raylanelliot

Yeah, I haven't had "the issue" at all since I've been holding it down. It must be that.

It's a learning adjustment for sure. This is my fourth car with push button, and I could always just tap it and drive on the other cars. Nope, not with these VWs I suppose.

I do find it funny that the dealer didn't think to ask if I was holding the button -- but oh well -- I got to drive a 2018 Tiguan for a few weeks without having to pay for gas.

P.S. I would be so upset if I owned a Tiguan, and was not made aware of the start/stop system. It's absolutely awful. Do most newer VWs have this? So ridiculous that there is not an option to fully disable it.

adam1991

Banned
My brand new GTI doesn't require a "press and hold" of ANY kind. Just a momentary touch and release, and a moment later the car starts.

MyFast_GTI1

I'm in an auto and that happens every once in a while to me too. It will light up the gauges and everything else, but won't start, sometimes, I swear it almost turns over a TINY bit but stops. Doing it again makes it start. Maybe I'm hitting it and letting off just a bit too fast.

Same exact thing happens with mine. It doesn't happen often enough for me to think there is really an issue though.