GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stalling and Cranking - No resolution

djs34977

Car(s)
2015 Mk7 Golf R
I am posting here as a last effort to try and find a potential fix for my 2015 Golf R DSG before I am forced to sell it. I will try my best to keep this short and to the point on the issue, I have been having for the past 6 months of owning the vehicle.

My vehicle was bought used at 61k miles currently at 72k miles, has been on occasion having start-up issues. The car will crank, crank, crank, and fail to start. After a few tries, it will finally startup. This issue has occurred about a month after I purchased the vehicle and after I had BestBuy install a dash camera. This will be important later on. All these no start issues slowly started to become more frequent over time. I brought my car to a dealership who collected my diagnostic money and said sorry no codes are showing then pushed me out the door. I switched gears and found an amazing german auto mechanic shop near my house to look at the vehicle. I had this shop do a carbon clean and replace my fuel injectors which seemed to help at first. Shortly after, I still had starting issues. They took another look and found the low-pressure fuel pump had a leak causing pressure issues obviously, replaced that. Seemed to again fix the issue for some time, the startup was much cleaner. Shortly after again I had the car in park and on, then it would stall, I was able to start the vehicle again then it would sputter then stall over and over. I had the car towed to the same dealer who tried to diagnose it the first time. The car fired right up and again dealer said no codes cant help. I then drove away (it was raining as well, not sure if there is a correlation or not), parked and stalled again. I got the car to start then brought the car to the german auto shop who replaced the low-pressure fuel pump and had them attempt to pull codes. No codes.... I drove away and parked, stalled again, this time the mechanic came to me to run a diagnostic while it was starting and stalling. I don't have the readings on me but it was fuel related something to do with the bar pressure I believe. They took a look at my ECU which they saw it was flashed back in 2017, they said it was showing that it was ROW and trying to read port injection modules that the car doesn't have obviously and showing as a limo? Not entirely sure what was going on with the ECU. I went to take my car to a different dealer to check the ECU, when I went to take the car from the german auto place it wouldnt start, the mechanic disconnected the high pressure fuel module and the car fired right up without hesitation. We replaced the high-pressure fuel pump hoping to fix the issue. Seemed to work. I drove over to the dealer to have the ECU checked out, they said it looked normal to them, no TD1 codes. Here is the kicker... the car stalled out in their garage bay with the mechanic in the car. I asked them, well are you able to diagnose that, they told me no, no codes were showing and it would be a shot in the dark to try to fix it. I told them about the best buy dash camera and if they could look at the wiring. Best Buy claimed to have wired the camera into the ignition switch, which then after a month of issues I told them to switch it to another source like the lighter switch which they said they did. The dealer started to take out the camera and found that it was wired into the J519 module AND the fuel pump relay module. They also mentioned the ODB2 was also tapped into. They removed all of this and spliced the wiring back together. They said the car fires right up. I drove it and of course.. i stall out while it is in park. I got it started again and started to drive, mid drive the car stalls now. The problem is only getting worse and I have no other options to try. VW of America mentioned a buyback but a regional manager basically shot that down as it is out of warrenty and they want to try to fix it even if it requires to have their super master tech flown in to try and resolve it on my own dime. I already dumped about 4k into this vehicle. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know I am at my wit's end. The car is an absolute blast to drive when it works but at this rate, I am about forced to give it up.

Last edited:

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
I am posting here as a last effort to try and find a potential fix for my 2015 Golf R DSG before I am forced to sell it. I will try my best to keep this short and to the point on the issue, I have been having for the past 6 months of owning the vehicle.

My vehicle was bought used at 61k miles currently at 72k miles, has been on occasion having start-up issues. The car will crank, crank, crank, and fail to start. After a few tries, it will finally startup. This issue has occurred about a month after I purchased the vehicle and after I had BestBuy install a dash camera. This will be important later on. All these no start issues slowly started to become more frequent over time. I brought my car to a dealership who collected my diagnostic money and said sorry no codes are showing then pushed me out the door. I switched gears and found an amazing german auto mechanic shop near my house to look at the vehicle. I had this shop do a carbon clean and replace my fuel injectors which seemed to help at first. Shortly after, I still had starting issues. They took another look and found the low-pressure fuel pump had a leak causing pressure issues obviously, replaced that. Seemed to again fix the issue for some time, the startup was much cleaner. Shortly after again I had the car in park and on, then it would stall, I was able to start the vehicle again then it would sputter then stall over and over. I had the car towed to the same dealer who tried to diagnose it the first time. The car fired right up and again dealer said no codes cant help. I then drove away (it was raining as well, not sure if there is a correlation or not), parked and stalled again. I got the car to start then brought the car to the german auto shop who replaced the low-pressure fuel pump and had them attempt to pull codes. No codes.... I drove away and parked, stalled again, this time the mechanic came to me to run a diagnostic while it was starting and stalling. I don't have the readings on me but it was fuel related something to do with the bar pressure I believe. They took a look at my ECU which they saw it was flashed back in 2017, they said it was showing that it was ROW and trying to read port injection modules that the car doesn't have obviously and showing as a limo? Not entirely sure what was going on with the ECU. I went to take my car to a different dealer to check the ECU, when I went to take the car from the german auto place it wouldnt start, the mechanic disconnected the high pressure fuel module and the car fired right up without hesitation. We replaced the high-pressure fuel pump hoping to fix the issue. Seemed to work. I drove over to the dealer to have the ECU checked out, they said it looked normal to them, no TD1 codes. Here is the kicker... the car stalled out in their garage bay with the mechanic in the car. I asked them, well are you able to diagnose that, they told me no, no codes were showing and it would be a shot in the dark to try to fix it. I told them about the best buy dash camera and if they could look at the wiring. Best Buy claimed to have wired the camera into the ignition switch, which then after a month of issues I told them to switch it to another source like the lighter switch which they said they did. The dealer started to take out the camera and found that it was wired into the J519 module AND the fuel pump relay module. They also mentioned the ODB2 was also tapped into. They removed all of this and spliced the wiring back together. They said the car fires right up. I drove it and of course.. i stall out while it is in park. I got it started again and started to drive, mid drive the car stalls now. The problem is only getting worse and I have no other options to try. VW of America mentioned a buyback but a regional manager basically shot that down as it is out of warrenty and they want to try to fix it even if it requires to have their super master tech flown in to try and resolve it on my own dime. I already dumped about 4k into this vehicle. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know I am at my wit's end. The car is an absolute blast to drive when it works but at this rate, I am about forced to give it up.
I had this issue on my mk6 GTI, it was caused by the fuel filter (which had a pressure regulator in it), I might be wrong, but I think the filter is part of the low pressure fuel pump (in tank) on the Mk7?! 👍

Last edited:

djs34977

Car(s)
2015 Mk7 Golf R
I had this issue on my mk6 GTI, it was caused by the fuel filter (which had a pressure regulator in it), I might be wrong, but I think the filter is part of the low pressure fuel pump (in tank) on the Mk7?! 👍
I believe the mechanic told me he replaced it along with the low pressure fuel pump, I'm not sure if there are two? One with the low pressure and one with the high pressure? Part me of wonders if the dash camera being wired into the relay may have damaged that.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I would check the electrical connections. Could be a loose wire or bad ground. Especially since it's intermittent.

djs34977

Car(s)
2015 Mk7 Golf R
I had them check the ground and that was fine but I wouldn't even know where to start with electrical. I can try and find the diagnostic report and attach that here if that would help any.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
I believe the mechanic told me he replaced it along with the low pressure fuel pump, I'm not sure if there are two? One with the low pressure and one with the high pressure? Part me of wonders if the dash camera being wired into the relay may have damaged that.
The filter is part of the in tank fuel pump and cannot be replaced separately of the pump.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
I would check the electrical connections. Could be a loose wire or bad ground. Especially since it's intermittent.
My mk6 issue was intermittent too and was resolved with the filter replacement.

Jacobmk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI S 4dr DSG
Idk but my car did the same thing a couple months ago, it cranked and failed to start, then I cranked it again and it finally sputtered to life after 10+ revolutions. It has never done that before in 2 years of ownership and hasn’t done it since, idk. Just a fluke thing I guess.

djs34977

Car(s)
2015 Mk7 Golf R
Idk but my car did the same thing a couple months ago, it cranked and failed to start, then I cranked it again and it finally sputtered to life after 10+ revolutions. It has never done that before in 2 years of ownership and hasn’t done it since, idk. Just a fluke thing I guess.
That's how mine started out, it would seem like a fluke deal then progressively got more frequent. Originally it was a start issue but now it's a start and stall issue that's happening about daily.

Jacobmk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI S 4dr DSG
That's how mine started out, it would seem like a fluke deal then progressively got more frequent. Originally it was a start issue but now it's a start and stall issue that's happening about daily.
Don’t scare me like that...lmao

djs34977

Car(s)
2015 Mk7 Golf R
Don’t scare me like that...lmao
Haha I think you're good man, mine was at least about 3 weeks appart and seemed more apparent when it rained, most likely electrical if that is the case. I highly recommend getting a walnut blast carbon clean thought at 70-80k miles. I did notice the car was a lot smoother after that.

djs34977

Car(s)
2015 Mk7 Golf R
Thanks everyone for trying to help here with my issue. Unfortunately I traded the vehicle in, not entirely my decision but about to get married and had to make the call. It'll bother for sure not knowing the issue after putting all this time and money into it :/. I will miss that beast of a machine more than anything.