GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stage 2

Pieisgood999

Ready to race!
Hi guys. How long does it take for stage 2 to come out after stage 1 usually? Waiting here patiently for any news from apr or revo but seems like they're still developing hardware which other manufacturers already are selling :S

Irishace

Ready to race!
I would bet that stage 2 will not be a huge pickup over a full bolt on stage 1. Perhaps a bit more aggressive timing but don't expect a huge pickup as I would imagine the stock turbo is close to maxed out on stage 1.

Pieisgood999

Ready to race!
I wouldn't want much more boost through the turbo before they fix the issues with them anyway. Was just hoping someone in the know would suggest a timeframe!

Austin@GIAC1

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi guys. How long does it take for stage 2 to come out after stage 1 usually? Waiting here patiently for any news from apr or revo but seems like they're still developing hardware which other manufacturers already are selling :S

We've wasted no time with stage 2 development and have been getting seriously good results with our latest test files. I should have more information to share shortly. Our 100-200 km/h (62-124 mph) improvements have been pretty shocking to be honest.

Irishace

Ready to race!
We've wasted no time with stage 2 development and have been getting seriously good results with our latest test files. I should have more information to share shortly. Our 100-200 km/h (62-124 mph) improvements have been pretty shocking to be honest.

Interesting indeed. I hope I am wrong then cause it sounds like GIAC is getting more out of the stock hairdryer than I would expect. Post up the numbers Austin!

Austin@GIAC1

Passed Driver's Ed
I wouldn't want much more boost through the turbo before they fix the issues with them anyway. Was just hoping someone in the know would suggest a timeframe!

High boost on stage 1 is a much greater detriment due to the exhaust gas temperatures created by the factory downpipe/catalytic converter. The turbo can sustain high boost, but in our experiences, cylinder pressure and temperatures increase dramatically. When replacing the stock downpipe for a more free flowing unit, it definitely increases the head room for tuning and does so safely.

blackcat1

Banned
Austin, any theories or anything on how or why the turbos are going kaput? if so, any plans to fix the flaw?

High boost on stage 1 is a much greater detriment due to the exhaust gas temperatures created by the factory downpipe/catalytic converter. The turbo can sustain high boost, but in our experiences, cylinder pressure and temperatures increase dramatically. When replacing the stock downpipe for a more free flowing unit, it definitely increases the head room for tuning and does so safely.

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
Austin, any theories or anything on how or why the turbos are going kaput? if so, any plans to fix the flaw?

The whole thread on it can be found here: http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5276

I'm pretty sure it's been stated multiple times that the blown turbos are due to improper torquing from the factory. In addition, there hasn't been one case so far that hasn't been covered by warranty (mods or no mods) so I don't know why people are so worried about it.

Pieisgood999 said:
I wouldn't want much more boost through the turbo before they fix the issues with them anyway.

See above, there doesn't seem to be any connection between being tuned and blown turbos so I'm not sure where people are getting that idea. Once again this is VW's error and it will be covered under warranty regardless of mods.

blackcat1

Banned
I made that thread. And it has been mentioned that torque thing one time, and never stated to be the cause for sure...

Since the shaft breaks in half, I don't think its the bolt torquing causing it?

The explanation GIAC gave wich points to excess head makes more sense. Maybe the shaft material can't take it?

The whole thread on it can be found here: http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5276

I'm pretty sure it's been stated multiple times that the blown turbos are due to improper torquing from the factory. In addition, there hasn't been one case so far that hasn't been covered by warranty (mods or no mods) so I don't know why people are so worried about it.

See above, there doesn't seem to be any connection between being tuned and blown turbos so I'm not sure where people are getting that idea. Once again this is VW's error and it will be covered under warranty regardless of mods.

Austin@GIAC1

Passed Driver's Ed
Interesting indeed. I hope I am wrong then cause it sounds like GIAC is getting more out of the stock hairdryer than I would expect. Post up the numbers Austin!

Here are the stock and stage 1 times for the 100-200 km/h testing that our dealer in Taiwan has been performing. These times were done with no hardware upgrades at all and 98RON fuel.

We were pretty surprised that a flash only couple improve acceleration through this range by over 5.4 seconds.

We were even more shocked to see this on 98 RON:

The car now has:

GIAC Stage 2 Beta Software
Forge Motorsport Sport Exhaust
Forge Twin Intercooler
Forge Blow off Valve
Pipercross Vector Induction Kit

With an acceleration improvement of 7.115 seconds over stock (40% improvement), it should defintiely give you an idea how much potential there is with these stock turbochargers. Our dealer there sees similar times with our High Output K04 MK6 GTIs.