GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stage 2 plans. DSG Tune necessary?

Comedy1234

Hello, fellow GTI enthusiasts! My car is currently APR Stage 1, with new summer tires, a catback exhaust, and and APR intake. I'm planning on going stage 2 soon and was wondering if the increase in power would warrant a DSG tune. My car is currently smooth shifting, with none of the 1-2 jerks some other GTI owners have been experiencing. Is the DSG tune necessary at stage 2 or just a luxury? Also any reccomendations on a DP would be much appreciated. Thanks!

GTISEVEN

Passed Driver's Ed
DSG tune

I second that ....APR DP is a very high quality unit and the stage 2 tune is free for existing stage 1 APR users.Since you are already with APR you might as well avail the benefit of this free software flash.You've to have the stage 2 software with DP to avoid CEL etc.
As far as the DSG tune is concerned ,it really helps to put all that power to the ground much more efficiently.It definitely makes the car shift much faster and it's an added security for the DSG as stock TCU is for stock power.

VWGTI

Ready to race!
Not super necessary as long as you're not going to be racing the car. I've been running GIAC Stage 2 without any TCU tune, and it's been alright. It's nice to have if you can afford it though.

1fastredsc

Ready to race!
It's absolutely 100% necessary because it raises the torque limit of the TCU.

It also increases shift speed and clamping pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What does the torque limit do? Just indirectly limit the torque output of the motor on a tune?

Also is the clamping pressure increased because the stock clamping pressure won't hold the extra torque without clutch slip?

Inquiring minds would like to know. APR, Unitronic, or other tuner, feel free to chime in on the mechanically functional benefits of a TCU fune. I'm subscribed.

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Ready to race!
Pretty much exactly what's you just suggested, though I'd email them for more specific information.

I believe the clutch will disengage if you exceed the 350NM limit, which the DSG tune can defeat somewhat. Arin, John, or George would better be able to speak to this.

It also changes the shift points in D and S so it doesn't shift funny with the new torque curve.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Pretty much exactly what's you just suggested, though I'd email them for more specific information.

I believe the clutch will disengage if you exceed the 350NM limit, which the DSG tune can defeat somewhat. Arin, John, or George would better be able to speak to this.

It also changes the shift points in D and S so it doesn't shift funny with the new torque curve.

I think you meant to say lb/ft? 350nm is 250ish lb/ft.

iliveoncaffiene

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 718 GT4
I think you meant to say lb/ft? 350nm is 250ish lb/ft.

Technically, it's ft-lbs or lbs-ft, as the equation for torque is T = F x d (force times distance), ft/lbs or lbs/ft implies a ratio :D

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Ready to race!
So it appears an ECU tune can be told to ignore the power cut requested by the TCU, effectively removing the limit.

That's pretty clever!

Either way, when I drove around for a few days with Uni stage 1 and no TCU tune, anything other than manual I found unpleasant. S would hold gears too long, D would shift too far into the torque curve, and just generally didn't seem to know what gear it wanted to be in. This is just my personal experience, YMMV :)

But I was wrong about it being required, and I stand corrected.

Ducatij2012

Ready to race!
So it appears an ECU tune can be told to ignore the power cut requested by the TCU, effectively removing the limit.

That's pretty clever!

Either way, when I drove around for a few days with Uni stage 1 and no TCU tune, anything other than manual I found unpleasant. S would hold gears too long, D would shift too far into the torque curve, and just generally didn't seem to know what gear it wanted to be in. This is just my personal experience, YMMV :)

But I was wrong about it being required, and I stand corrected.

So it is not needed for it (stage 2)? Just a major recommendation for smooth automatic shifting

worldacgti

Go Kart Champion
on the fence about spending this kinda dough on a tcu tune......700 bucks is a lot to cough up....people that have it, was it totally worth it?

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Ready to race!
Absolutely, it does shift faster, if imperceptibly.

Then again I use D a lot in traffic and S an lot when launching.

Just kidding, I don't launch, I'm to afraid of hurting my baby [emoji1]