GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stage 2 Mk7.5 - Need advice on clutch

Devolution

Car(s)
Volkswagen Golf R
Greetings all!

I own a ‘19 Mk7.5 and just recently decided to go from stock to full stage 2.
I am running IE inlet, downpipe, intake & intercooler along with their 91 stage 2 tune.
Now, I am currently still running the stock clutch (car is at about 45,000km, original owner) and it’s actually holding up really well but I know that it’s inevitably going to fail. I do not dump the clutch from a dig, I let it engage and stomp it, nor do I stomp it in high gear at low rpm, ever.

So, with that said, I currently have a South Bend stage 2 daily clutch but am wondering if this clutch will hold up for tens of thousands of km with spirit driving but not total clutch abuse? Or should I just go stage 3 daily? I have heard that South Bends clutchs are underrated and can handle the torque over rated. I do not plan to add any more power to the car after this. Small mods but this is it.

Any advice would help! Thanks!

Also, feel free to chime in on any issues or simple supporting mods for Stage 2. Always like hearing opinions!

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Welcome to the forum. I would just keep your current clutch and when you need a new one get the stage 3 clutch.

Devolution

Car(s)
Volkswagen Golf R
Thanks for the reply. Reason I ask is I got a deal on a new south bend stage 2 daily and the shop said it is more than adequate for an IE mk7.5 R and stage 3 is “overkill” but said I can spend the extra $600 if I want.
He also said the stage 3 south bend daily is a noticeably harder clutch from the stage 2 daily.
Just curious from anyone who is stage 2 or greater, and has experience with these clutches, the differences?

thanks !

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
I have the stage 3, great clutch, not hard once broken in. Get the stage 3 like Jim said.

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Stage 2 clutch rated at 400 torque wasn't enough for my stage 1 build. My recommendation is to go stage 3 at a minimum. I should have known better and went for more overhead.

jaystonewee

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI 4dr S 6spd
Similar situation here. EQT vortex with ethanol and I blew right through a TTRS pressure plate with Sachs SRE disc. Supposedly good for 400 ish torque. Cobb Accessport said 375 at crank on some logs and I had noticeable clutch slip.

Reactions: the

Devolution

Car(s)
Volkswagen Golf R
Appreciate the replies. Surprised to hear that the stage 2 clutch won’t be able to hold up to a stage 2 mk7.5.

The reason I say this is because my stock clutch still isn’t slipping. I have only done 1 ~2500rpm launch with no slip but still will admit have not stomped it in 4th, 5th or 6th below 3000rpm. Under hard acceleration to redline, no slippage at all on stock clutch which is why I thought the stage 2 clutch would suffice.

But now I’m getting a little freaked out and thinking stage 3 may be safer....

docwyte

Go Kart Champion
I'm still running my stock clutch and it's holding up fine. But I don't do launches, this is my DD and I drive it like an adult. If/when the stock clutch goes I'm probably going to go with the Ringer clutch setup as I don't like a heavy clutch pedal feel.

Devolution

Car(s)
Volkswagen Golf R
Greetings all!

I own a ‘19 Mk7.5 and just recently decided to go from stock to full stage 2.
I am running IE inlet, downpipe, intake & intercooler along with their 91 stage 2 tune.
Now, I am currently still running the stock clutch (car is at about 45,000km, original owner) and it’s actually holding up really well but I know that it’s inevitably going to fail. I do not dump the clutch from a dig, I let it engage and stomp it, nor do I stomp it in high gear at low rpm, ever.

So, with that said, I currently have a South Bend stage 2 daily clutch but am wondering if this clutch will hold up for tens of thousands of km with spirit driving but not total clutch abuse? Or should I just go stage 3 daily? I have heard that South Bends clutchs are underrated and can handle the torque over rated. I do not plan to add any more power to the car after this. Small mods but this is it.

Any advice would help! Thanks!

Also, feel free to chime in on any issues or simple supporting mods for Stage 2. Always like hearing opinions!
***STOCK CLUTCH UPDATE***
Stage 2; 425hp; 460ft-tq

I have put on about 11,000km (~7,000 miles) on stage 2.

My stock clutch is holding up really well. I have had a slippage a few times under VERY HARD acceleration but other than that it’s holding up exceptionally well. I was under the impression that this tune would toast it unless driving like grandma 24/7. I do ALOT of spirited driving and cannot understand how people are killing these clutches so fast. The only thing I can think of that I don’t do is high rpm clutch dumps.
I was even told the clutch would constantly slip just stomping it at low rpm (which it has but only the few times I’ve done 3k launches)
I’m sure this tune is wearing it considerably faster than stock tune and have my stage 3 ready but i am just updating to say that these clutches arnt as garbage as one might believe.

Just throwing it out there.

warpspeedr

Passed Driver's Ed
The dealer where I bought my MK7 Golf R has its own tuner shop. The dealer has an excellent reputation in the community where it has been in business for 50 years therefore I put a lot of stock in their recommendations. That being said, their tuner shop has installed APR Stage 2 along with all of the supporting mods (intake, intercooler, etc.). Even though the tune bring it to just under 400 HP, they advised going with the Southbend Daily Stage 3 clutch which is rated for up to 500 HP. After installation, the clutch was quite heavy until it was broken in which took only a few hundred miles. It provides me with great peace of mind knowing that it will probably last me the life of the car which should be at least 10 more years as I drive just under 4000 miles a year (retired) and I don't race or do hard launches. I've had my tune and upgrades for nearly 4 years with zero problems.

Last edited:

Devolution

Car(s)
Volkswagen Golf R
The dealer where I bought my MK7 Golf R has its own tuner shop. The dealer has an excellent reputation in the community where it has been in business for 50 years therefore I put a lot of stock in their recommendations. That being said, their tuner shop has installed APR Stage 2 along with all of the supporting mods (intake, intercooler, etc.). Even though the tune bring it to just under 400 HP, they advised going with the Southbend Daily Stage 3 clutch which is rated for up to 500 HP. After installation, the clutch was quite heavy until it was broken in which took only a few hundred miles. It provides me with great peace of mind knowing that it will probably last me the life of the car which should be at least 10 more years as I drive just under 4000 miles a year (retired) and I don't race or do hard launches. I've had my tune and upgrades for nearly 4 years with zero problems.
Thanks for the reply!

The stock clutch has held up exceptionally well considering. I have my stage 3 ready for when it does go though!

RudyH

Go Kart Champion
I would also consider the Ringer clutches. Just wrapped up a similar discussion in the GTI forum.

Yup, that's what I went with and easily the best clutch on the market by a landslide. I stayed with the DMF as well. Ya it is a black label Clutchmaster, but Mike got it right

No chatter, @575 lbs-ft feels like stock including the peace of mind that your left leg will not make your right leg look like it skipped leg day

galavanter13

Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Yup, that's what I went with and easily the best clutch on the market by a landslide. I stayed with the DMF as well. Ya it is a black label Clutchmaster, but Mike got it right

No chatter, @575 lbs-ft feels like stock including the peace of mind that your left leg will not make your right leg look like it skipped leg day
What stage Ringer clutch do you have?