GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stage 2 Mk7.5 - Need advice on clutch

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Yup, that's what I went with and easily the best clutch on the market by a landslide. I stayed with the DMF as well. Ya it is a black label Clutchmaster, but Mike got it right

No chatter, @575 lbs-ft feels like stock including the peace of mind that your left leg will not make your right leg look like it skipped leg day
It’s not a black label clutch master, CM makes the kit for him and uses they FX pressure plates (hD or extreme) based on the stage selection if you get one of his non adjusting pressure plates that is. But the discs are SOLEY made for ringer and CM doesn’t sell that style and material disc otherwise. (CM actually makes a good bit of other clutch brands products also)

My first clutch was a fx500 from CM *stayed DMF - with the HD plate and 8 “puck” full face, pedal feel was great but engagement of the disc was very un-pleasant and inconsistent, also it burned up after 8k (my fault bad driving habits for a full ceramic clutch)

Then ran the twin From dkm, but currently am on the ringer stage 5 - after talking to him about my HD pressure plate experience and my car he actually highly recommended me go stage 5 using the extreme pressure plate as those TQ values are based on equations and related to gen1 e888 cars which require less holding pressure /slip for the same TQ rating since the gen 3 has a very abrupt TQ curve.

I will say stage 5 = a rather (very) heavy pedal and a very “Instant” bite but has been manageable for the last 8 months of daily driving. In hindsight - I would rather go stage 4 though at take my changes with it holding to get the easier more compliant pedal feel. (Stage 4 uses the same pressure plate you have)

RudyH

Go Kart Champion
It’s not a black label clutch master, CM makes the kit for him and uses they FX pressure plates (hD or extreme) based on the stage selection if you get one of his non adjusting pressure plates that is. But the discs are SOLEY made for ringer and CM doesn’t sell that style and material disc otherwise. (CM actually makes a good bit of other clutch brands products also)
Ah sorry it looks like either it has been changed or I was thinking about scotch...it is 'private label built by CM' on his web site. I knew it was noted somewhere.

CM makes the clutch, to his spec as you mentioned, but he has a special coating applied that is applied that is supposed to condition the Organic/Cerametalic Material (well for the Stage III I went with anyway). Regardless, it holds a lot of power, and there is no issues with slip so far that I experienced.

vw_s

Ready to race!
Car(s)
vw
I do ALOT of spirited driving and cannot understand how people are killing these clutches so fast.
No launches, just pulls. My stock clutch slipped every single time on the third or fourth pull when climbing in third gear. If you're only doing 1 spirited pull a week on your way home from work you can probably get away with that for a long time. If you hit the track on the weekend it can be a problem.

loudspl

Car(s)
GLI, GTI, TDI
Currently running Mike's version of the CM850SS.
Just make sure you get something with a sprung hub if it's a street car.
No slip as long as you give proper break-in time.
Ringer Racing is my suggestion (y)

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
OP, I highly recommend SPEC clutches. Buy once and you won't ever need to replace it. I just don't understand why more people are not getting these clutches. I believe it has to do with marketing. All you see on these different vendors websites are SB, DKM, and CM clutches so nobody within the MK7 community even knows about the SPEC clutches.

https://specclutch.com/

vw_s

Ready to race!
Car(s)
vw
I just don't understand why more people are not getting these clutches.
They're not making them easy enough to purchase. Truth is most people are novice to intermediate with wrench turning and knowledge. The SPEC website before its current state was confusing as hell. Currently it's still not necessary "easy" to understand what they are offering for the MK7. You have options there: carbon, mini twin, single. I have no idea what that means, may as well be hamburger combos.

You tell me it's a better clutch, I want to buy it. Currently it's easier to point a mouse at the Southbend website and press go. I don't like it, but that's the truth. Most people would rather say "well let them be idiots" instead of providing a solution, so here we are.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
They're not making them easy enough to purchase. Truth is most people are novice to intermediate with wrench turning and knowledge. The SPEC website before its current state was confusing as hell. Currently it's still not necessary "easy" to understand what they are offering for the MK7. You have options there: carbon, mini twin, single. I have no idea what that means, may as well be hamburger combos.

You tell me it's a better clutch, I want to buy it. Currently it's easier to point a mouse at the Southbend website and press go. I don't like it, but that's the truth. Most people would rather say "well let them be idiots" instead of providing a solution, so here we are.
I mean, I thought their website was pretty easy to find what I was looking for and any questions that I had, I just called their Technician number listed on the "Contacts" page. The options you are pointing out, carbon is the type of material that the friction plate is made out of; single and mini twin refer to the discs, you have a single disc or a twin disc. I would have thought that's basic knowledge among us folks in the car community but I guess not. If you have any questions, just call them.

vw_s

Ready to race!
Car(s)
vw
I would have thought that's basic knowledge among us folks in the car community
I mean, I thought their website was pretty easy to find what I was looking for and any questions that I had, I just called their Technician number listed on the "Contacts" page.
This is what I mean, pressing order on a "stage X option" is just easier. It's stupid-proof basic advertising. I know you don't understand that because you have a big ole Virginia brain, but most people are buying these clutches and taking them to a mechanic to pay $1000 for an install.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
This is what I mean, pressing order on a "stage X option" is just easier. It's stupid-proof basic advertising. I know you don't understand that because you have a big ole Virginia brain, but most people are buying these clutches and taking them to a mechanic to pay $1000 for an install.
Well that's just weetartid so I'll just take my big ole Virginia, even though I was born and raised in NJ, brain and go enjoy my big ole horsepower VW.

vw_s

Ready to race!
Car(s)
vw
Well that's just weetartid so I'll just take my big ole Virginia, even though I was born and raised in NJ, brain and go enjoy my big ole horsepower VW.
Sir at this point, we are all enjoying your big ole horsepower vw. FWIW when I joined the scene, all anyone was yelling about was SB. If I would have known about SPEC, I would have bought one. They are made right here in my home state.

ECNMY R

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
R, RS3, GTS 4.0
Have 10k miles on a Sachs clutch with DMF, feels great. Have about 1k miles on EQT stage 2 91 and it's holding fine.