GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stage 2 EQT 91 White smoke on WOT pulls and braking or hard g turns @ high rpm

six.k

Car(s)
16' GTI DSG EQT
Help! I'm getting whitish blue smoke out of my exhaust on certain high g turns at a rpm higher than 4k or WOT pulls uphill while decelerating. Very much like in the videos below:

I have since replaced the pcv with a new revision oem one. VAG-06K103495BL. When doing so i noticed alot of oil coming from the pcv hose connecting from the pcv to my turbo inlet. At the connection point to the turbo inlet was the heaviest but in general the whole hose looks like its breathing out oil lol. The turbo inlet also had oil pooling up at the bend before the turbo.

since replacing the pcv the issue has still persisted. before replacing it it only ever happened on a hard g turn at high rpms but just today going up my normal hill that i do like to WOT pull when coming home it happened for the first time.

I'm stuck between whether or not this is an issue with the pcv plate or maybe just the hose is bad? would a faulty hose cause the white smoke issue? I've been reading alot into whether or not a catch can is worth it but i honestly hear so much from both sides. it seems to me based of ed's post on the eqt facebook group that the spulen v2 catch can + baffled plate is the way to go but also that post is 4 years old. Does that still stand? i've attached the group post below just in case you haven't seen it.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/EQTVAG/permalink/378101673024751/

Was thinking about just getting the ecs tuning hose replacement kit but don't want to waste the money if a catch can is what i really need. I know most people say a catch can is only necessary if tracking but some of the turns i take on my normal route, for example an off ramp with a 30 mph marker being taken by me at 60 mph at high rpms, i would consider to be hard driving.

These are the routes below.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-parts/upgraded-pcv-breather-hose/021834ecs0101kt/

or

https://www.uspmotorsports.com/Spulen-2.0TSI-Billet-Spherical-Catch-Can-Kit-Black-SE-CCTSIV2-B1.html

I've also heard things of using the stock pcv alongside a catch can system is also worth looking into based on this video.

Anyway thanks for taking the time to read into my problem i would love some insight as there seems to be so much differing opinion on this topic. Ill try to post some picture tomorrow if that helps as well.

TL;DR

Should I get a catch can if my car is blowing white smoke with hard driving. I have a faulty pcv hose that may potentially be the problem? Or a faulty new revision pcv (VAG-06K103495BL) that i installed recently.

Superfreak

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
‘19 M2C, ‘05 Taco
I went though some of what you’re experiencing. Started with a CTS catch can and CTS plate. Catch can was filling a lot, like 1 cup per tank (mostly oil). I normally only drive the car for fun in the mountains (mostly). I decided to go stock PCV (BL rev) and Burger Motorsports catch can, changing the mount to above the turbo inlet pipe. Symptoms have gone away and I barely get any oil (just a couple of ml maybe every month or so) in the tiny new catch can. Lots of posts on this and I’d suggest you start with the cheapest solutions first, and go from there.

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
I went though some of what you’re experiencing. Started with a CTS catch can and CTS plate. Catch can was filling a lot, like 1 cup per tank (mostly oil). I normally only drive the car for fun in the mountains (mostly). I decided to go stock PCV (BL rev) and Burger Motorsports catch can, changing the mount to above the turbo inlet pipe. Symptoms have gone away and I barely get any oil (just a couple of ml maybe every month or so) in the tiny new catch can. Lots of posts on this and I’d suggest you start with the cheapest solutions first, and go from there.

I think the key is the BL PCV. I had smoking issues with the original PCV on my Golf R with the Vortex turbo. I ended up buying one of the revised APR catch can but never ended up installing it, as I ended up putting on the BL PCV which worked so well

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
FWIW, the BL PCV made my catch can fill up in regular daily driving. Not sure if I had a bad one or what, but I went back to my original PCV and the BMS catch can and that generally works for me to prevent smoking and stumbling during hard driving.

six.k

Car(s)
16' GTI DSG EQT
FWIW, the BL PCV made my catch can fill up in regular daily driving. Not sure if I had a bad one or what, but I went back to my original PCV and the BMS catch can and that generally works for me to prevent smoking and stumbling during hard driving.
Yeah i was gonna say to clarify most of my problems started with the bl pcv.

Thanks to @MSH and @Superfreak for your input. I guess ill lifetime warranty the bl with fcp and try a new one first with the ecs hose kit before putting on the catch can.

hopefully I won't have to buy a catch can after the fact. 🤷‍♂️

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Help! I'm getting whitish blue smoke out of my exhaust on certain high g turns at a rpm higher than 4k or WOT pulls uphill while decelerating. Very much like in the videos below:

I have since replaced the pcv with a new revision oem one. VAG-06K103495BL. When doing so i noticed alot of oil coming from the pcv hose connecting from the pcv to my turbo inlet. At the connection point to the turbo inlet was the heaviest but in general the whole hose looks like its breathing out oil lol. The turbo inlet also had oil pooling up at the bend before the turbo.

since replacing the pcv the issue has still persisted. before replacing it it only ever happened on a hard g turn at high rpms but just today going up my normal hill that i do like to WOT pull when coming home it happened for the first time.

I'm stuck between whether or not this is an issue with the pcv plate or maybe just the hose is bad? would a faulty hose cause the white smoke issue? I've been reading alot into whether or not a catch can is worth it but i honestly hear so much from both sides. it seems to me based of ed's post on the eqt facebook group that the spulen v2 catch can + baffled plate is the way to go but also that post is 4 years old. Does that still stand? i've attached the group post below just in case you haven't seen it.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/EQTVAG/permalink/378101673024751/

Was thinking about just getting the ecs tuning hose replacement kit but don't want to waste the money if a catch can is what i really need. I know most people say a catch can is only necessary if tracking but some of the turns i take on my normal route, for example an off ramp with a 30 mph marker being taken by me at 60 mph at high rpms, i would consider to be hard driving.

These are the routes below.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-parts/upgraded-pcv-breather-hose/021834ecs0101kt/

or

https://www.uspmotorsports.com/Spulen-2.0TSI-Billet-Spherical-Catch-Can-Kit-Black-SE-CCTSIV2-B1.html

I've also heard things of using the stock pcv alongside a catch can system is also worth looking into based on this video.

Anyway thanks for taking the time to read into my problem i would love some insight as there seems to be so much differing opinion on this topic. Ill try to post some picture tomorrow if that helps as well.

TL;DR

Should I get a catch can if my car is blowing white smoke with hard driving. I have a faulty pcv hose that may potentially be the problem? Or a faulty new revision pcv (VAG-06K103495BL) that i installed recently.
did you get a genuine BL pcv, or one of the aftermarket OE-style parts? QC seems to matter on these, and the genuine label should be worth something.

the hose isn't leaking oil into the inlet.

have you checked for oil on the hot side of your charge piping? once it's in the intercooler it can be a huge pain to get it all out. also, if oil continues to pool in your inlet pipe, it's likely an upstream issue, but it is possible you have failing seals causing oil to burn. worth inspecting your turbo if you're not confident that the issue is at the PCV.

six.k

Car(s)
16' GTI DSG EQT
did you get a genuine BL pcv, or one of the aftermarket OE-style parts? QC seems to matter on these, and the genuine label should be worth something.

the hose isn't leaking oil into the inlet.

have you checked for oil on the hot side of your charge piping? once it's in the intercooler it can be a huge pain to get it all out. also, if oil continues to pool in your inlet pipe, it's likely an upstream issue, but it is possible you have failing seals causing oil to burn. worth inspecting your turbo if you're not confident that the issue is at the PCV.

this is the exact part that i bought.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/audi-vw-crankcase-vent-valve-genuine-audi-vw-06k103495bl

I have not checked for oil on the hot side of my charge piping. Sorry but I'm not sure where exactly that is. i have installed myself the majesty twincooler off ebay and haven't checked inside those pipes other than making sure the hose clamps were still secure. by failing seals do you mean on the turbo? is there anything i should be looking for on the turbo that would indicate failure? the car drives quite fine day to day otherwise and i still have been driving it hard.

Thanks for being patient with me! this is my first car that i give a shit about now that i have a semi decent job so a lot of this is new to me. I'll try to get some pics when i get the new pcv hose on.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
this is the exact part that i bought.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/audi-vw-crankcase-vent-valve-genuine-audi-vw-06k103495bl

I have not checked for oil on the hot side of my charge piping. Sorry but I'm not sure where exactly that is. i have installed myself the majesty twincooler off ebay and haven't checked inside those pipes other than making sure the hose clamps were still secure. by failing seals do you mean on the turbo? is there anything i should be looking for on the turbo that would indicate failure? the car drives quite fine day to day otherwise and i still have been driving it hard.

Thanks for being patient with me! this is my first car that i give a shit about now that i have a semi decent job so a lot of this is new to me. I'll try to get some pics when i get the new pcv hose on.
hot side is between your turbo and the intercooler. cold side is between the intercooler and the throttle body. you'd want to check the lower hot side pipe to see if anything is pooling up down there.

there's a seal on the turbine shaft inside the turbo that can fail, you can get an inspection mirror and try to take a look at the back of the turbo for signs of oil leaking.

do you get white smoke while idling after a few minutes? either in the bay or out the tail pipe.