GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stage 2/dp advice

smoriarty

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm going stage 2 and adding a Downpipe next month. I'm pretty excited. Stage 1+ has been awesome, but I feel the need for more powah and sound.

I've landed on Bull X dp mainly because the catted version is only $799 and its hjs included cat converter. Compared to awe or neuspeed catted which are ~$1000. So to me it's the best bang for my buck.

I know I'm gonna have to replace my clutch(6MT), but I'm going to try and see how long my stock clutch will hold out and compare that to other people for future feedback to others.

Any pipes, hoses, advice, tips anyone can give me that will help going stage 2? Will my 3yr/30,000 warranty be voided or not? I have a very mod friendly dealer in South Austin I go to, so I'm not particularly worried there.

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
Get an intercooler for that Texas weather, the Neuspeed Golf-R version (fits GTI) is a nice upgrade.

It also sets your cooling up nicely for an IS38 upgrade.

That and tires/clutch, as you will need them with Stage 2 eventually.

Edit: Your warranty was technically voided at Stage 1+, just take all mods off and flash back to stock for any warranty claims to keep it intact.

smoriarty

Passed Driver's Ed
Get an intercooler for that Texas weather, the Neuspeed Golf-R version (fits GTI) is a nice upgrade.

It also sets your cooling up nicely for an IS38 upgrade.

That and tires/clutch, as you will need them with Stage 2 eventually.

Edit: Your warranty was technically voided at Stage 1+, just take all mods off and flash back to stock for any warranty claims to keep it intact.

Inter cooler is next on the list probably set for early next year after some Christmas $$ comes in haha.

I'm in no big rush for tires, just waiting for those stock all seasons to wear down to slicks, then I'll go with new shoes. No point in wasting perfectly usable tires, even though they're complete s***.

My dealer said even with stage 1+, they would look the other way if something went wrong. Not saying they would keep warranty, but they wouldn't find reasons to void my warranty if something semi unrelated happened. Would I have to go back to stock dp though?

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
Would I have to go back to stock dp though?

Yep.

Trust me I took over $1k in mods when I had engine trouble, was not a fun experience.

My car only has a turboback and a front mount on it at the moment, my intake should be here by the end of the month. That is literally the most you need to do to get your moneys worth out of Stage 2.

Downpipe / Intercooler / Intake or panel filter, I had all the charge pipes and sold them, I even ran 3 separate DV's on the car and sold those.

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
My dealer said even with stage 1+, they would look the other way if something went wrong.

As you probably know (from reading the forum), the dealer doesn't determine your warranty claims. They have to send data to VW, who makes the final call whether or not your car is warrantied. (Just posting this for anyone new reading along).

bluekid99

Drag Race Newbie
i have uni stage 2 with uni downpipe and i have no issues with clutch or anything yet...it still keeps the drivability and everything...i wouldnt trade it for the world..youll enjoy it

Dave10781

Go Kart Champion
Your clutch will last you plenty of miles if you take care of it. Still a good idea to bank some money for the "just in case" fund.

An intercooler would be pretty helpful here though! But not necessary.

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
Your clutch will last you plenty of miles if you take care of it. Still a good idea to bank some money for the "just in case" fund.

An intercooler would be pretty helpful here though! But not necessary.

Beg to differ, the number of blown turbos on cars fitted with aftermarket intercoolers has been much lower than those without.

All cars with catastrophic failures were running stock IC so far.

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Adding to gn4rwhals,

You can not use another persons clutch experience with a tune to determine whether you will need one or not. Some people have gone stage 2 without issue. Others increase their power below stage 1 levels and need a clutch right away.

If you have a clutch and tune, be prepared to replace it sooner instead of later. Budget for it, or don't tune.

And on the intercoolers, the recent rash of problems across forums with issues tend to lead me to believe an intercooler should be bumped up as a pre stage 2 mod, and possibly even a piggy back requirement. The stock unit can not handle the increased boost pressures (and the resulting jump in BAT's) when ambient temps get in the 80's.

smoriarty

Passed Driver's Ed
All great advice guys! Tbh, I'm a very conservative driver when it comes to stepping on it. I don't drive my car like I stole it 100% of the time. Maybe 20% of the time, because I don't want to "get tired of it" and for other reasons. But I love to have the power available when I need it. Not saying I'm a granny driver, so don't make that assumption.

Seems I need to get that inter cooler asap, then. And fingers crossed my clutch lasts for a while. With my driving style, it'll last till I die. Jk...

smoriarty

Passed Driver's Ed
i have uni stage 2 with uni downpipe and i have no issues with clutch or anything yet...it still keeps the drivability and everything...i wouldnt trade it for the world..youll enjoy it

Thanks, I'm so glad I went with Uni rather than Apr. Both have great stuff, but after reading the differences in boost levels and how Uni focuses more on timing rather than boost, I was sold.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Yep.

Trust me I took over $1k in mods when I had engine trouble, was not a fun experience.

My car only has a turboback and a front mount on it at the moment, my intake should be here by the end of the month. That is literally the most you need to do to get your moneys worth out of Stage 2.

Downpipe / Intercooler / Intake or panel filter, I had all the charge pipes and sold them, I even ran 3 separate DV's on the car and sold those.

Don't take anything off going to the dealer. Ever

If they're mod friendly and already said they'd look the other way lying to them is not the way to go. There's no point in removing stuff anyway...if your downpipe was the problem just fix it, putting it back to stock won't fix a rattle with your aftermarket...and a completely unrelated issue can't be blamed on it anyway

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
As you probably know (from reading the forum), the dealer doesn't determine your warranty claims. They have to send data to VW, who makes the final call whether or not your car is warrantied. (Just posting this for anyone new reading along).

Like they said tho, a mod friendly dealer doesn't care and Vw won't know what they aren't told.

Unrelated is unrelated

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Beg to differ, the number of blown turbos on cars fitted with aftermarket intercoolers has been much lower than those without.

All cars with catastrophic failures were running stock IC so far.

The turbo failures are due to not properly torquing them at the factory...intercooler or not those failures would have happened

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
I'd always remove everything. Just because they say they are mod friendly, doesn't mean they won't throw you under the bus. If they have to get VWoA involved, many times they take pictures and seeing a DP won't help your case.

In regards to the turbos, not all have failed due to the shaft nut falling off. This is just one point of failure. The intercooler still should be replaced before stage 2 IMO.