GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stage 2 Aftermarket Intake +30 HP?

randomhobo130

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2020 Autobahn DSG
Jake coming in with logic, reasoning, and probably well deserved kudos for workmanship.

Everyone else:
tenor (1).gif

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
Where is the twin filter option? All of this money is burning a hole in my pocket.

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
Why even bother with titanium? It's an intake that makes noise and nothing else.

I'm not shutting on the workmanship, I get the appeal and all that. But cut the shit with the power gains and dumb marketing.

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
I follow him on IG, he does awesome work.

The price point is exactly why I don’t build titanium Volkswagen parts. Just in raw materials for the tubing alone it costs more than most people are willing to spend on a intake.
Titanium has a couple of advantages over other materials: it's much lighter than most other metals and its heat resistance is outstanding. That's it. For an intake tract between the turbo inlet and air filter, neither of those properties come into play. Very likely, its rigidity might cause vibration or cracking issues unlike a silicone connector, and the less than perfect bends (made from multiple angled straight tube pieces) won't flow quite as well as a smoother* piece made from a formed (plastic, CF, etc.) or flexible material. But if you want something which says "look at how much money I've dropped in this VW," it can't be beat.

*Yes, I know that some surface texturing actually improves airflow, the size and shapes of the multiple irregularities of this intake tube should increase surface turbulence, reducing airflow at higher CFM, compared to smoother overall shapes.

Last edited:

GTI_Owner

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
I'm part of a local MK7 group and the following custom built intake got posted recently:

https://fellybuilt.com/product/3-3-5-titanium-volkswagen-golf-intake-tube-air-box/

The dyno pic shows gains across the entire power band peaking at 30+ HP more on a stage 2 Golf R compared to an IE intake.

Am I the only one skeptical as F?
+34 whp / +49 wtq vs another aftermarket intake?

I wonder if the people at Felly Built have any idea about the magnitude of the claim they are making for their product.

slipperywhenwet

Go Kart Newbie
I'm part of a local MK7 group and the following custom built intake got posted recently:

https://fellybuilt.com/product/3-3-5-titanium-volkswagen-golf-intake-tube-air-box/

The dyno pic shows gains across the entire power band peaking at 30+ HP more on a stage 2 Golf R compared to an IE intake.

Am I the only one skeptical as F?
I saw the post on the MK7 group as well. I'll be honest, once that foil is wrapped around the intake piping, it looks pretty sweet, but aside from that, I just can't get behind what he's stating and what he's asking for it.

He's claiming 30+ HP over the Gen 2 IE intake, which is extremely suspicious, especially given that the piping that he's using is the same diameter as the IE stuff. I can't buy into the idea that his system is flowing any more air than any other aftermarket setup, and the benefits of ti piping over cast piping will be marginal, if any. On top of that, it looks like his air collector area around the intake is wide open, which means that IAT will be going through the roof as well (granted, a LOT of aftermarket intakes, including my own, are like that).

Does the shiny gold look look in the engine bay? For sure. If I didn't already have an intake, would I consider this at half price? Maybe. Do I believe that it'll give me a 30hp bump? Not a chance.

DiNaMo

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7 R
Us Canadians are too polite lol. I'm sure everyone is thinking the same thing but no ones gonna call him out.

slipperywhenwet

Go Kart Newbie
Us Canadians are too polite lol. I'm sure everyone is thinking the same thing but no ones gonna call him out.
Hahahahaa! Isn't that the truth?

I like to think that we're trying to be supportive of his ingenuity and the risk that he has taken, while also not wanting to be the guinea pig for his development.
But yeah, 30+ hp? That's basically the difference between stock engine vs installing a JB4 with Map 1. No way in hell that just an intake is responsible for a 30+hp bump.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Titanium has a couple of advantages over other materials: it's much lighter than most other metals and its heat resistance is outstanding. That's it. For an intake tract between the turbo inlet and air filter, neither of those properties come into play. Very likely, its rigidity might cause vibration or cracking issues unlike a silicone connector, and the less than perfect bends (made from multiple angled straight tube pieces) won't flow quite as well as a smoother* piece made from a formed (plastic, CF, etc.) or flexible material. But if you want something which says "look at how much money I've dropped in this VW," it can't be beat.

*Yes, I know that some surface texturing actually improves airflow, the size and shapes of the multiple irregularities of this intake tube should increase surface turbulence, reducing airflow at higher CFM, compared to smoother overall shapes.

Between being an aircraft mechanic and fabricator I’m definitely familiar with titanium, just explained why I personally don’t attempt to sell Ti VW parts.