GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stage 1

Trav_R

Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Hey guys, I have a 2016 golf r stock with 45k miles and looking to stage 1, will my clutch hold up? At least for a little while or would it need to be replaced ASAP (manual transmission)
Thanks

eajr

Go Kart Champion
Nobody can really tell you whether your clutch would hold up or not. How could anybody who hasn't driven it or pulled the trans out determine that? Either way, you will need a clutch upgrade eventually.

Trav_R

Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Nobody can really tell you whether your clutch would hold up or not. How could anybody who hasn't driven it or pulled the trans out determine that? Either way, you will need a clutch upgrade eventually.
A lot of people have told me once I stage my stock clutch will go almost immediately

Trav_R

Car(s)
2016 Golf R

Attachments

• 783DE51E-1DC6-470A-9932-983E6B14FF07.jpeg
    783DE51E-1DC6-470A-9932-983E6B14FF07.jpeg
    131.5 KB · Views: 141

eajr

Go Kart Champion
That is not necessarily the case. Everybody's driving habits and tendencies are different. Some people have run Stage 1 on stock clutch for thousands of miles before needing an upgrade. Other might be less, or somewhere in between. The consensus is that the stock clutch is the weak link and will need to be replaced.

eajr

Go Kart Champion
Also, you are the second owner correct? Who knows how many 2 Fast 2 Furious moments the previous owner had in the car...

Trav_R

Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Yea 2nd owner! And I hear you, picked up from a bmw dealer so not sure who the previous owner was but car drives and pulls amazing

FactoryR

Ready to race!
IMO, that stage 1 will require a clutch upgrade at 45k in, but if everything is fine now, you maybe able to make it last for a little while longer. Who knows. You don't know, till you know.

The clutch in my prior 16' R started slipping at 20k. I'm probably biased.

Last edited:

eajr

Go Kart Champion
Yea 2nd owner! And I hear you, picked up from a bmw dealer so not sure who the previous owner was but car drives and pulls amazing
I knew a guy who had a Stage 2 on stock clutch for over 10k and I don't know how he didn't need a replacement by the way he was driving. Its a mystery.

Pickleahoy

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
If you do not have a cushion to upgrade the clutch on top of the cost of the tune, do not go stage 1. Its a flip of the coin that you will slip or not, and a clutch job aint cheap. Dip your toes with a piggyback and see if your pressure plate can hold the power. Mine couldnt even hold a Neuspeed power bump, but as soon as I removed it the clutch would stop slipping.

eajr

Go Kart Champion
If you do not have a cushion to upgrade the clutch on top of the cost of the tune, do not go stage 1. Its a flip of the coin that you will slip or not, and a clutch job aint cheap. Dip your toes with a piggyback and see if your pressure plate can hold the power. Mine couldnt even hold a Neuspeed power bump, but as soon as I removed it the clutch would stop slipping.
You are right about that, clutch jobs ain't cheap. I paid about $1,800 for parts + install.