GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stage 1 Tunes

Cruz653

Tried researching and I’ve come down to picking one of two tunes:

EQT or Maperformance Stage 1 tunes on 91
Just wanted some more recent feedback on how either tune runs and feels.
I know a protune is always the better choice but I’m not running any major mods. Just an IE intake and the IE turbo inlet. Thanks

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
I went with EQT a couple months ago. I have nothing negative to say about it and I haven't had any problems. It pulls hard as hell when you want it to and it's smooth through the RPMs no matter the throttle level.

Ed is reworking his tunes right now so if you go with EQT I dunno if you want to wait for the new revision. It'll have a little more power to it. If you ordered now you'd get the current revision, but it'd only be $25 to upgrade once he finishes this new revision.

Cruz653

I went with EQT a couple months ago. I have nothing negative to say about it and I haven't had any problems. It pulls hard as hell when you want it to and it's smooth through the RPMs no matter the throttle level.

Ed is reworking his tunes right now so if you go with EQT I dunno if you want to wait for the new revision. It'll have a little more power to it. If you ordered now you'd get the current revision, but it'd only be $25 to upgrade once he finishes this new revision.
Thank you for the information. Are you also running any DSG tune? Unless you’re on the 6mt

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Thank you for the information. Are you also running any DSG tune? Unless you’re on the 6mt

I'm a manual, but I've read only good things about his DSG tunes too. I'm not sure if he has a 7 speed tune yet though.

There's a facebook group that he runs that might be worth checking out for you. EQT VW/Audi MQB

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Any 6mt guys still on stock clutch and EQT tune? I think Ed offers a low torque tune too.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Any 6mt guys still on stock clutch and EQT tune? I think Ed offers a low torque tune too.

I've only got about 900 miles on my stage 1 tune and 10k miles on the car, but I haven't seen any slipping. I ordered a rsr clutch on the same day as the tune though, so I'm ready if it does. The original plan was to just do the clutch in January, but now I'm kinda interested in seeing how far I can take it. I have a feeling I can make it go quite far just because of how I drive, but we'll have to see. I drove with a slipping clutch on my mk6 for a few months so I've just kinda been driving it like that since I tuned it. I'll floor it no problems in 1st-3rd gear. 4th-6th I'm always pretty easy on the throttle, but I'm rarely going faster than 60 so I don't have a reason to use that much throttle in those gears. With the miles I put on it I might be able to get a couple years out of the clutch. I saw a couple guys on facebook with stage 1 Rs saying they had a stock clutch with 18-19k tuned miles so it inspired me, but I still prepared for the worst.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I've only got about 900 miles on my stage 1 tune and 10k miles on the car, but I haven't seen any slipping. I ordered a rsr clutch on the same day as the tune though, so I'm ready if it does. The original plan was to just do the clutch in January, but now I'm kinda interested in seeing how far I can take it. I have a feeling I can make it go quite far just because of how I drive, but we'll have to see. I drove with a slipping clutch on my mk6 for a few months so I've just kinda been driving it like that since I tuned it. I'll floor it no problems in 1st-3rd gear. 4th-6th I'm always pretty easy on the throttle, but I'm rarely going faster than 60 so I don't have a reason to use that much throttle in those gears. With the miles I put on it I might be able to get a couple years out of the clutch. I saw a couple guys on facebook with stage 1 Rs saying they had a stock clutch with 18-19k tuned miles so it inspired me, but I still prepared for the worst.

Do you have the low torque or normal stg1?

I don't launch the car and make sure clutch is fully engaged before giving it the beans. Always downshift to pass, so no heavy throttle in 4th - 6th either. I'm like you, about 900 miles, no slip, but I do autocross the car, and worried that 245 width RE71R's will cause slip. So far no issue, but I again, I fully engage clutch before full throttle, as there's no gain to launch it with that much power on a low grip old runway, I get better launch the way I'm doing it. I'll upgrade to EQT's tune next month and give input compared to the COBB tune. I'm hoping to get a year out of the stock clutch driving nicely on the street.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Do you have the low torque or normal stg1?

I don't launch the car and make sure clutch is fully engaged before giving it the beans. Always downshift to pass, so no heavy throttle in 4th - 6th either. I'm like you, about 900 miles, no slip, but I do autocross the car, and worried that 245 width RE71R's will cause slip. So far no issue, but I again, I fully engage clutch before full throttle, as there's no gain to launch it with that much power on a low grip old runway, I get better launch the way I'm doing it. I'll upgrade to EQT's tune next month and give input compared to the COBB tune. I'm hoping to get a year out of the stock clutch driving nicely on the street.

I didn't see anything to specify low torque so I typed in high torque in the comments and just assume I got the one with more power.

I'm the same way too though. I never launch my cars. Always let the clutch out before I step on it. I had my mk6 gti for 6 years and never launched it. I launched my mk4 vr6 probably about a max of 4 times over the 6 years I had that, and those were mostly all in 1 night.

Jshinz24

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 SE MT
Looking at going with the EQT stg1 93 tune with a 6MT as well at some point here soon. They have some pretty good deals on the AP and throwing a free tune in. Very tempting...

Jshinz24

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 SE MT
Go for it.
I’ve been thinking about it more lately. I was looking at a JB4 since I have warranty and a manual. But I also don’t go full send or WOT very often or launch the vehicle hardly ever. M fun is usually had on curvy roads lol Was talking to someone about a stg1 EQT 93 just today and it sounds pretty enticing now. I have about 6k on the car so far and the EQT seems possibly somewhat ‘Safer’ than a JB4. That is just from what I have read about piggy backs versus actual custom tunes though. Still seems like a good deal lol!

Jshinz24

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 SE MT
EQT is great. I have stage 2 and love it. Had unitronic previously. With the sale going on right now you should jump on it. You’ll regret it if you don’t.
I probably will. I shot EQT a message about the free tune with the AP just to see if they have the lower tq option available. Not a dealbreaker, just thought I’d ask them. Still at 6k, so I have some time to burn I guess. EQT seems like a solid place.