GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stage 1 Tunes

TheContender09

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf R
Any 6mt guys still on stock clutch and EQT tune? I think Ed offers a low torque tune too.
I have a 6mt but I’m running IE stage 1 high torque on stock clutch. Clutch holds up fine and the car really pulls hard too. No negatives on the tune either. Can’t wait for stage 2

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Just gonna update what went on with my clutch since I was pretty optimistic about things when I originally posted. I ended up destroying the clutch. The pressure plate had bent teeth, the flywheel was loose and knocking into the bellhousing. I'm lucky I didn't bust anything open. Everything had to be replaced. It was so much worse than the typical clutch slip people get from a tune.

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
Tried researching and I’ve come down to picking one of two tunes:

EQT or Maperformance Stage 1 tunes on 91
Just wanted some more recent feedback on how either tune runs and feels.
I know a protune is always the better choice but I’m not running any major mods. Just an IE intake and the IE turbo inlet. Thanks
EQT is running their annual Fall sale through the rest of the month. If you buy the COBB Accessport with an ECU tune (or ECU & DSG) from them, they'll throw in their own maps for free. Mine was delivered in this morning--woo hoo!

Jshinz24

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 SE MT
Just gonna update what went on with my clutch since I was pretty optimistic about things when I originally posted. I ended up destroying the clutch. The pressure plate had bent teeth, the flywheel was loose and knocking into the bellhousing. I'm lucky I didn't bust anything open. Everything had to be replaced. It was so much worse than the typical clutch slip people get from a tune.
You said you had ordered a clutch the same day you bought the tune? How long were you down and out for? That sucks. I’m still thinking of trying the low tq tune. However, maybe I should have a clutch waiting in the garage just in case 😂 I guess I only have a few days to decide since the sale ends soon. I guess i could always just rock a Jb4.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
You said you had ordered a clutch the same day you bought the tune? How long were you down and out for? That sucks. I’m still thinking of trying the low tq tune. However, maybe I should have a clutch waiting in the garage just in case 😂 I guess I only have a few days to decide since the sale ends soon. I guess i could always just rock a Jb4.

Yea, there was a sale going on for the clutch so I ordered it knowing I'd need it eventually. It was pretty strange when it happened though, but that's how my luck tends to go. I backed out of my driveway and the next time I pushed the clutch something gave out. I remember a very slight feel that was like something just popped. I go to push the clutch again for 2nd and it was super soft. It had a hard time grabbing after that, especially from a stop. I only took it around the block then drove home. I let the car sit for about 10 minutes while I called a mechanic and then when I started it the clutch felt normal so I just carried on. Eventually it happened again and it was like 2-3 weeks where I was dealing with this off and on until finally it was just happening too often. There was one pull, barely a pull, where after the shift I heard the flywheel banging into the bellhousing, but I didn't know that's what that sound was until the mechanic showed me the damage. It never stopped me from driving though and they got it done in a day, so no downtime.

I'm not sure what it was that gave out first, but I almost feel like that pop and release I felt was probably the pressure plate. Then the pressure plate being messed up and driving on it like that ended up damaging the flywheel too. It definitely wasn't the experience I expected. I had a mk6 gti and they came with weak clutches too, anyone with a 6 speed and a tune has to get a clutch. With that car I drove with the stock clutch for a decent amount of time and then when it slipped it wasn't that big of a deal. It was easy enough to drive it so it didn't slip so I just did that for a few months until I got the clutch sorted out.

Jshinz24

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 SE MT
Yea, there was a sale going on for the clutch so I ordered it knowing I'd need it eventually. It was pretty strange when it happened though, but that's how my luck tends to go. I backed out of my driveway and the next time I pushed the clutch something gave out. I remember a very slight feel that was like something just popped. I go to push the clutch again for 2nd and it was super soft. It had a hard time grabbing after that, especially from a stop. I only took it around the block then drove home. I let the car sit for about 10 minutes while I called a mechanic and then when I started it the clutch felt normal so I just carried on. Eventually it happened again and it was like 2-3 weeks where I was dealing with this off and on until finally it was just happening too often. There was one pull, barely a pull, where after the shift I heard the flywheel banging into the bellhousing, but I didn't know that's what that sound was until the mechanic showed me the damage. It never stopped me from driving though and they got it done in a day, so no downtime.

I'm not sure what it was that gave out first, but I almost feel like that pop and release I felt was probably the pressure plate. Then the pressure plate being messed up and driving on it like that ended up damaging the flywheel too. It definitely wasn't the experience I expected. I had a mk6 gti and they came with weak clutches too, anyone with a 6 speed and a tune has to get a clutch. With that car I drove with the stock clutch for a decent amount of time and then when it slipped it wasn't that big of a deal. It was easy enough to drive it so it didn't slip so I just did that for a few months until I got the clutch sorted out.
Wow. how many miles in were you before you felt that first ‘giving out’ feeling? I know if I get that tune I am telling myself to be easy on it but that all goes out the window when I get into the car and start driving 😂 I can’t really trust myself. I am old now,though, and drive like a grandpa most of the time until I hit the back roads.

Last edited:

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Wow. how many miles in were you before you felt that first ‘giving out’ feeling? I know if I get that tune I am telling myself to be easy on it but that all goes out the window when I get into the car and start driving 😂 I can’t really trust myself. I am old now, though and drive like a grandpa most of the time until I hit the back roads.

I tuned at 9.1k miles and the clutch went out around 11.4k...didn't last too long.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Gotchya. I’m at 6k now. Maybe I should wait lol

I'm 5,000 in, with dozens of autocrosses and a few track days. Stock clutch is holding, but I avoid launching the car hard and never go WOT in 4th - 6th.

Last edited:

Jshinz24

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 SE MT
I'm 5,000 in, with dozens of autocrosses and a few track days. Stock clutch if holding, but I avoid launching the car hard and never go WOT in 4th - 6th.
Yea, I don’t launch my car at all. I don’t go WOT at all either lol> I’ve become an old man driver for the most part. I almost picked up a JB4 a month or so ago but never pulled the trigger. Then this sale for the Stg 1 93 and AP happened and pumped me up lol