GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stage 1 Intermittent cylinder 2 misfire

Metro424

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey all 2016 Mk7 GTI with 72,000 miles. I went EQT stage 1 a couple thousand miles ago and am getting a misfire code that will pop up occasionally during a long WOT pull. EPC light will come on and cylinder 2 will be deactivated. Turning the car off and on clears the EPC light.
So far I’ve:
1. Replaced and correctly gapped spark plugs
2. Swapped coil packs around assuming cylinder 2 is the second from the left when looking from the front of the vehicle
3. Reflashed stage 1 just in case it was tune related

I’m still getting a misfire and trying to figure out what my next steps are. It looks like injectors would be the most likely next culprit and I was planning on doing a carbon cleaning while I have the intake manifold off to do injectors. I have owned the vehicle since new and have never done a carbon cleaning. Is there anything I can test for before I start replacing things?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Nothing to worry about at all.

If he's getting EPC light and deactivation of the cylinder, then I say it's nothing to worry about.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Time to do a compression test, cross your fingers, and hope for the best. Although if you've eliminated plugs and coils as the problem, the outlook isn't looking good.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Time to do a compression test, cross your fingers, and hope for the best. Although if you've eliminated plugs and coils as the problem, the outlook isn't looking good.
He only has 72,000 miles and very minor knock. And he just tuned it. The EPC light needs to be diagnosed.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
He only has 72,000 miles and very minor knock. And he just tuned it. The EPC light needs to be diagnosed.

1608429698213.jpg

You're right minor knock isn't an issue. But knock and misfires aren't the same thing. Misfires can cause engine knock, but not all engine knock is misfires. If he's getting misfires on a single cylinder, that is repeatable and causing an EPC, and has eliminated both spark plugs and coil pack as being the issue, that's not a good situation to be in. It usually indicates a far more serious problem.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
View attachment 196790

You're right minor knock isn't an issue. But knock and misfires aren't the same thing. Misfires can cause engine knock, but not all engine knock is misfires. If he's getting misfires on a single cylinder, that is repeatable and causing an EPC, and has eliminated both spark plugs and coil pack as being the issue, that's not a good situation to be in. It usually indicates a far more serious problem.
I thought he said just.75 which is minor. I was getting an EPC light and it turned out to be the tune.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I thought he said just.75 which is minor. I was getting an EPC light and it turned out to be the tune.

You seem to be confusing knock and misfire.