GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stage 1 - 6 months on.... thoughts

Jens0n

Go Kart Newbie
Hi All,
welcome some feedback on those that have had a stage 1 tune for the last six months or more.
I've had an itch that needs scratching after owning for nearly 2yrs I'm ready to scratch that itch and go stage 1ECU/TCU on my (Dec2016) R,
In my mind there's no question that it'll bring smiles for the first month or so, but then quickly become mehhh, given how quick these cars are stock.

My main cons are;
Most all of my driving is urban, so little opportunity to stretch it's legs
I've only launched the car half a dozen times or so, and only when warmed up and roads are empty.

(ignoring the preamble about choice of tuners)
So, 6 months or more on, you still pleased to have made the switch?

Thanks in advance
J.

realcyberbob

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
No regrets to ECU/TCU stage 1. I agree, it is fun stock, but more fun tuned.

SoMD GTIGuy

I do not have any regrets about the Uni stage 1 tune on my 17 gti. I have been running that une for the last 45k miles and its all I really need for my daily commuter. At 97k on the odo now.

Triple B

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf 7 R
Stage 1 Uni on my '16 R since 20k miles until 70k miles - loved the extra mid range and stronger tope end. Switched to the 93 Uni file and now running an E85 blend - feels fantastic. Looking forward to APR's new Stage 2 turbo release or maybe if the Uni people awake from their slumber they will do something similar.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Stage 1 Uni on my '16 R since 20k miles until 70k miles - loved the extra mid range and stronger tope end. Switched to the 93 Uni file and now running an E85 blend - feels fantastic. Looking forward to APR's new Stage 2 turbo release or maybe if the Uni people awake from their slumber they will do something similar.
What do you mean? Are the unitronic tunes behind or inferior compared to apr?

I’m new to the platform, thanks for the info!

Triple B

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf 7 R
I've not tried the APR stage 1 so I can't comment but I hear it has a stronger mid range and less top end. APR are developing a replacement for their stage 2 which involves a turbo upgrade but keeping the stock exhaust. I'd like a few more ponies so will probably go that route - Uni talked of a turbo upgrade about a year or so back but their development is like the roll of a dice - could be 2moro could be 2022. Poor communication and ever moving goal posts. APR seem to be really upping their game - they are developing on the 718 platform and are offering tuning hardware that isnt just software based and in the age of hybrids moving to electrification that's what is required. I just hope Uni don't end up being a Kodak/Nokia because of poor leadership.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I've not tried the APR stage 1 so I can't comment but I hear it has a stronger mid range and less top end. APR are developing a replacement for their stage 2 which involves a turbo upgrade but keeping the stock exhaust. I'd like a few more ponies so will probably go that route - Uni talked of a turbo upgrade about a year or so back but their development is like the roll of a dice - could be 2moro could be 2022. Poor communication and ever moving goal posts. APR seem to be really upping their game - they are developing on the 718 platform and are offering tuning hardware that isnt just software based and in the age of hybrids moving to electrification that's what is required. I just hope Uni don't end up being a Kodak/Nokia because of poor leadership.
Oh I see. Thanks for the info.