GOLFMKV

ST40 Brake Pad Reference Guide

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Good for the street but don’t hold up on track.

I don’t have any track time planned for this year, since I still haven’t addressed cooling issues or done a diff.

I do have a aluminum car trailer now, so I’ll feel better about taking it to VIR once those two things are crossed off the list (hopefully this winter). Just too busy working on everyone else’s projects.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Couldn't tell you unfortunately. My car hardly gets driven on the street. I get about ~10 track days from a set of rotors
That’s reasonable.

I don’t think the XP12/10 will be street-able. Once the transfer layer wears off you will likely eat the rotors and pads on the street.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
I don’t have any track time planned for this year, since I still haven’t addressed cooling issues or done a diff.

I do have a aluminum car trailer now, so I’ll feel better about taking it to VIR once those two things are crossed off the list (hopefully this winter). Just too busy working on everyone else’s projects.
I hear you. DS2500’s are good performance pads for the street and FCP sells them. You will fade them at VIR.
You will need cooling headroom with the IS38 and tune. Your right foot could be you LSD. Lol

A couple of us have been discussing going to a more aggressive rear pad for the track to move some of the brake biase rearwards.
Ferrodo DS3.12 front/ DS1.11 rear for R’s and DS3000’s for GTi’s
@jay745’s setup may be similar, but I’m not familiar with Carbotech pads.

For those who track regularly, I may approach EssexParts about doing a run of DS1.11’s or DSUNO rear pads for GTi PP rears.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I hear you. DS2500’s are good performance pads for the street and FCP sells them. You will fade them at VIR.
You will need cooling headroom with the IS38 and tune. Your right foot could be you LSD. Lol

A couple of us have been discussing going to a more aggressive rear pad for the track to move some of the brake biase rearwards.
Ferrodo DS3.12 front/ DS1.11 rear for R’s and DS3000’s for GTi’s
@jay745’s setup may be similar, but I’m not familiar with Carbotech pads.

For those who track regularly, I may approach EssexParts about doing a run of DS1.11’s or DSUNO rear pads for GTi PP rears.

I wasted a bunch of time trying to get in with PFC Brakes since they’re literally 5 miles from me, as either a distributor or even a promotional deal like I did with BuyBrakes.com/StopTech. I’d still prefer to run them to support local for track pads, but couldn’t even get my technical questions answered so I’ll most likely run whatever you guys are having luck with when the time comes.

I need to double check, but I believe the PP GTI brakes use the same pad as my Mk5 R32 rears.

I COULD do cool down laps and modulation to bypass the current short comings of my set up, but if I haul the car up to VIR I wanna get the most out of my time there rather than tip toeing around.

I should just order the Peloquin diff while I’m thinking about it, again because I want locally manufactured products whenever possible, and the dude who builds them is getting older so I don’t wanna miss out if he decides to retire.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Could you run something like the XP12/XP10 on the track and then switch out to something like Stoptech 309 or Carbotech 1521 for the street or would you have to switch out rotors.

Really don't want to have to do that.

I also wouldn't mind keeping the XP12/10 on since I don't drive much now anyway.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Wanted to try the DS2500 fronts first before pulling the trigger on the rears.

First impressions leave nothing to be desired, no noise and bed in process was drama free.

Side note, anyone have the wear limits handy for 355x32 ST40 rings? I’m at 31mm and don’t remember how low you can safely go.
763D699C-4C19-49B3-9732-67065CDC7820.jpeg
B02FDEEA-CA64-4066-8810-536C6F6E725E.jpeg

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R

First impressions leave nothing to be desired, no noise and bed in process was drama free.

Side note, anyone have the wear limits handy for 355x32 ST40 rings? I’m at 31mm and don’t remember how low you can safely go.
View attachment 252585View attachment 252586
Quick googling says 2mm of wear, so at 30mm, you'd replace (I think).

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI

View attachment 252585View attachment 252586
How many miles did you make it on those pads and rotors?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
How many miles did you make it on those pads and rotors?

309 pads weren’t all the way gone, but about 47k IIRC. Mostly street miles just commuting. I’m gonna do fluid & rear pads soon, just wanted a fresh set on the front incase we take the GTI to the beach (still weighing options between GTI with the roof box or suburban w/o the box).

I honestly don't know as far as measurements. I just inspect them often and replace when I start seeing the hotspots or cracks. My guess is they crack way before going below 30mm. Might be different for street driving with less aggressive pads

I’ve got a few little cracks mid span I’ll keep an eye on, but nothing alarming at this point.

I’ll probably run these till next spring and throw fresh rings on before it’s next track day (after diff and radiator).

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Could you run something like the XP12/XP10 on the track and then switch out to something like Stoptech 309 or Carbotech 1521 for the street or would you have to switch out rotors.

Really don't want to have to do that.

I also wouldn't mind keeping the XP12/10 on since I don't drive much now anyway.
nice thing about the ferodos is that you know their pads are compatible, so if you run DS2500 from FCP for the street, you can swap to 3.12/1.11 for track. generally if you go between manufacturers you'd want to sand/re-bed them if you re-use rotors. i assume carbotechs work with the 1521 but don't quote me.

but I will say that Mini7 is right, DS2500 were good for my first few track days but once you have confidence to push it they get overwhelmed.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
nice thing about the ferodos is that you know their pads are compatible, so if you run DS2500 from FCP for the street, you can swap to 3.12/1.11 for track. generally if you go between manufacturers you'd want to sand/re-bed them if you re-use rotors. i assume carbotechs work with the 1521 but don't quote me.

but I will say that Mini7 is right, DS2500 were good for my first few track days but once you have confidence to push it they get overwhelmed.
Carbotech are almost half the price though, but good to know