GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ST40 Brake Pad Reference Guide

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Motul 600/660 was bad for me, those were the only two racing brake fluids I tried before switching to srf. Only downside is the cost but if it's maintaining my brakes for 30 mins without a hint of fade it's worth it.
I never had an issue with 600 and jurid pads and sadly my tracking days are over due to health issues possibly putting others at risk during wheel to wheel

if it’s seriously netting you that much time. Fuck the price. That shits worth it. Cool down laps and letting it sit for a bit is so boring anyways!

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
@GTI Jake which car are you using on FCP's website for the pads?

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
For reference, ST40 v ST41 specs I looked up.
948A100B-A208-46A1-934D-7297CE8ABABF.jpeg

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I've seen all kinds of conflicting info on which car models for which kit depending on pad manufacturer.

Some say ST40 is only 89 944 Turbo. Some say 88-89. Some say 89-91.

If you go to Carbotech, they show a different pad for 88 (D345/D608) than 89 (D609)

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I've seen all kinds of conflicting info on which car models for which kit depending on pad manufacturer.

Some say ST40 is only 89 944 Turbo. Some say 88-89. Some say 89-91.

If you go to Carbotech, they show a different pad for 88 (D345/D608) than 89 (D609)

****FCP only lists certain pads for each year, because their website is absolutely horrendous.

The brakes on all 944 Turbo & several other turbo models from the mid ‘80s-early ‘90s are literally the exact same (completely interchangeable).

Just trying to help others hunt down free lifetime replacements working around FCP’s site.

Maybe ST41 are the same as non turbo variants? I don’t own those brakes but someone could dig into part numbers & have that answer.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I've looked at 15+ sites trying to figure it out. Pagid, Endless, Carbotech, everything and there's no consistency. This is a good thread to narrow down.

Maybe add links to the pads for ST40 on the first post and have them listed as FCP and other

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Cool thread I'll chime in, been using the st40 for a few years, stock gti calipers in the rear. Finding the right pad can be tedious, the tires you're using play a big factor as well. I use rs4 tires which are 200tw.

The only street pad I used with them was the stoptech sport pad, they were meh. Not a lot of bite and were just ok. I run only track pads now even when I drive it on the street.

Combos I've tried:

Carbotech xp10 front, xp10 rear
The car felt un balanced during hard braking and during trail braking on a track.

Carbotech xp10 front, xp8 rear
It was recommended by a buddy to step down to a less aggressive pad in the rear, definitely helped and the car felt good and balanced again but I felt like I wanted more bite

Carbotech xp12 front, xp10 rear
This has been the money combo for me and the car feels great. I can outbrake a lot of cars on the track and it just feels perfect. So much that I haven't wanted to try anything else, I've had about 10 sets of this pad combo and will continue. I get about double the rear pad life than I do the fronts. They're good on rotors too, I've changed the outer rings 4 times and rebuilt the pistons/seals twice. The st40 kit is awesome. Super easy to rebuild and change pads quickly, takes 2 mins each side.
What is rotor wear like for street use using the XP12/10 combo?

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
About to pull the trigger on DS2500 for all for corners (FCP lifetime warranty).

I’ve heard tons of great reviews & a hand full of bad ones. Anyone got $0.02 to throw in on that
Good for the street but don’t hold up on track.