GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ST XTA on my daily+track GTI Clubsport

Isty

Car(s)
GTI Clubsport
So.. I've decided to keep my 2017 GTI Clubsport DSG since I've given up the hunt for a manual one.

Today it only has Ferodo DS2500 front and rear and some 225 r888r on my 18" Belvederes and it's pretty decent but
I'm looking to get some coilovers with camber plates and a bigger rear sway bar, and probably bigger wheels and tires once the r888r's are gone.

I was about to order the ST XTA kit but then I realized I would probably have to cut the strut tower hole bigger to be able to adjust the camber whenever I wanten.
Is this the way to go? Anyone using these coilovers and didn't have to cut?

I also drive the car daily for about 10k miles per year, would it be bad to put the camber at -3 to -3,5 and leave it there?

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
So.. I've decided to keep my 2017 GTI Clubsport DSG since I've given up the hunt for a manual one.

Today it only has Ferodo DS2500 front and rear and some 225 r888r on my 18" Belvederes and it's pretty decent but
I'm looking to get some coilovers with camber plates and a bigger rear sway bar, and probably bigger wheels and tires once the r888r's are gone.

I was about to order the ST XTA kit but then I realized I would probably have to cut the strut tower hole bigger to be able to adjust the camber whenever I wanten.
Is this the way to go? Anyone using these coilovers and didn't have to cut?

I also drive the car daily for about 10k miles per year, would it be bad to put the camber at -3 to -3,5 and leave it there?

I had the XTAs on my car - I did have to cut the towers, and as such, got about -2.8 degrees of camber. Didn’t notice any crazy tire wear but I was also swapping front to back every 2-3k or so.

Isty

Car(s)
GTI Clubsport
I had the XTAs on my car - I did have to cut the towers, and as such, got about -2.8 degrees of camber. Didn’t notice any crazy tire wear but I was also swapping front to back every 2-3k or so.

Ok, thanks!
Were you satisfied with the XTAs? Were -2.8 max or just what you wanted?

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
Ok, thanks!
Were you satisfied with the XTAs? Were -2.8 max or just what you wanted?
That was maxed out camber wise. I was happy with them! Only reason I won’t run them on my new Golf R is because the rear spring rate is a bit low for my taste.

Isty

Car(s)
GTI Clubsport
That was maxed out camber wise. I was happy with them! Only reason I won’t run them on my new Golf R is because the rear spring rate is a bit low for my taste.
Ok!

What other mods should I consider for more camber with the ST XTAs?

What route should I go if I decide to keep my DDC?

I've found it rather hard to collect all the info I need on this forum, though there is a lot!

I've seen the TT control arms mod, which I can get really cheap locally(arms and ball joints, don't know what more I need to get for this to work tho).

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
Ok!

What other mods should I consider for more camber with the ST XTAs?

What route should I go if I decide to keep my DDC?

I've found it rather hard to collect all the info I need on this forum, though there is a lot!

I've seen the TT control arms mod, which I can get really cheap locally(arms and ball joints, don't know what more I need to get for this to work tho).
With the XTAs, for more camber, you could get LCAs from Whiteline or Superpro, or balljoints (I think 034 and Whiteline are the two on the market right now). You could also get Clubsport S spindles/knuckles, but those are $$$. If you're really going for a track oriented build, you could go Verkline, but that's more than most are willing to spend, and isn't really friendly to driving on the street.

To keep your DCC, there's a couple of options - you could do lowering springs/a coilover conversion + camber plates, or you could get DCC compatible coilover kit. Those coilovers are relatively expensive though, and seem to be underwhelming to most.

nefario90

Passed Driver's Ed
You can call ST and order the Golf R specific rear springs, $80 a piece plus shipping IIRC
I’m about to do the same thing, GTI -> A3

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
You can call ST and order the Golf R specific rear springs, $80 a piece plus shipping IIRC
I’m about to do the same thing, GTI -> A3
Shhhh, this is a good excuse to get Ohlins