GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ST X coilovers MK7.5 GTI (reviews please)

bekro

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GtI SE
For those of you that have put this setup on your MK7 GTI, please fill me in on your experience with the product. I just purchased these and am now wondering after reading very mixed reviews if I made the right decision. I don't want to go through the headache of installing them if I am going to be unhappy with the end result.

2018 GTI SE DSG
APR STAGE 1 ECU/TCU TUNE

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
They're fine & a nice budget/entry level coilover....though I'm not sure what your goals are for them?
Tracking them? To get super low? Nice ride quality?

I'm curious to know what bad things you've heard about them in your "mixed reviews" though

With suspension, you get what you pay for. So if you could've afforded nicer coilovers, of course you could've done better.
But, for the price, they're a nice "entry level" street coilover

cbr600rr

Go Kart Champion
I had these same coils on my FRS for 5 summers and 5 winters. In my opinion they were FANTASTIC for the dollar. An actual quality set of DD coils for a DD price. Almost stock feel. I lowered 1.5'' for summer and winter on an already low car. Had ZERO complaints. No signs of corrosion over the 5 years either... or degrading in performance. I cant say enough. I paid $1100 CAD and it was worth every penny. -$100 rebate one month later.

My goal though was a DD coilover. Never tracked them. Only spirited mountain drives. But for that they held up. Also I think they come with a 5yr manufacturer warranty... pretty good IMO.

What else? Similar to stock feel but slightly stiffer, and capable of Canada pot holes, winters, salt, bumps, frost heaves, etc (I did avoid those as I could though)... is there anything else I need to say?

I have a 2018 GTI and plan to go straight to ST coils once my wallet allows. (This is my new DD, likely no track days so I don't want to spend 2-3k on fancy coils... I'm not dumb. These will do the job I need and do it well for a fair price.

I say if your budget is 1000ish, there is nothing else you should get.

To OP. If you plan to do autoX or more than 1-3 track days per year you might consider something else. Not saying these won't do it. Just don't know that they are Up for that job. When people buy lowering springs - these are what they should have really bought. And I'll stand behind that with my mortgage.

Last edited:

bekro

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GtI SE
They're fine & a nice budget/entry level coilover....though I'm not sure what your goals are for them?

I'm curious to know what bad things you've heard about them in your "mixed reviews" though

With suspension, you get what you pay for. So if you could've afforded nicer coilovers, of course you could've done better.
I read a couple different forums stating that the ST dampers "blowout" prematurely or that individuals had "issues" with them. However, I do not recall any review stating specific details regarding the issues that they were having, so take that for what it is worth. I am new to GTI's (love my car) let alone putting coil overs on a car period so I am simply trying to gather others experience with this product.

2018 GTI SE DSG
APR STAGE 1 ECU/TCU TUNE

bekro

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GtI SE

I would like a 1-1.5" drop, occasional tracking, reduced body roll, decent ride quality. I could have afforded a bit pricier of a setup, but it seemed to be a good value for the price considering they are supposedly modeled after KW V1 and most other common setups around the same price range (bilistien, koni) seem to be way back ordered. Again, I am just getting into this hobby so I didn't want to spend a ton of money on something I don't know much about. While we are on this subject, did you alter the setup in anyway before installing it or did you put everything in as is? Also, my car has a whooping 1000mi on it, so as far as replacing nuts, bots, bearings, etc, what should I be prepared to replace? Your input is very much appreciated!

2018 GTI SE DSG
APR STAGE 1 ECU/TCU TUNE

bekro

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GtI SE
I had these same coils on my FRS for 5 summers and 5 winters. In my opinion they were FANTASTIC for the dollar. An actual quality set of DD coils for a DD price. Almost stock feel. I lowered 1.5'' for summer and winter on an already low car. Had ZERO complaints. No signs of corrosion over the 5 years either... or degrading in performance. I cant say enough. I paid $1100 CAD and it was worth every penny. -$100 rebate one month later.

My goal though was a DD coilover. Never tracked them. Only spirited mountain drives. But for that they held up. Also I think they come with a 5yr manufacturer warranty... pretty good IMO.

What else? Similar to stock feel but slightly stiffer, and capable of Canada pot holes, winters, salt, bumps, frost heaves, etc (I did avoid those as I could though)... is there anything else I need to say?

I have a 2018 GTI and plan to go straight to ST coils once my wallet allows. (This is my new DD, likely no track days so I don't want to spend 2-3k on fancy coils... I'm not dumb. These will do the job I need and do it well for a fair price.

I say if your budget is 1000ish, there is nothing else you should get.

To OP. If you plan to do autoX or more than 1-3 track days per year you might consider something else. Not saying these won't do it. Just don't know that they are Up for that job. When people buy lowering springs - these are what they should have really bought. And I'll stand behind that with my mortgage.
Thank you very much for the input. You have me more excited than I already was. This is my DD as well and like you, I don't plan on doing much tracking at all, just the occasional open track days. I live in Michigan so I am glad to hear that they held up to the harsh Canadian winter. Also very happy to hear that they have an almost stock feel to them. I love the suspension feel to the car as is, I just want to go lower and ever so slightly stiffer and don't feel like changing out my stock dampers a yr down later due to putting lowering springs on the car. Thanks again. Once I get them on the car, I will give my impressions as well.

2018 GTI SE DSG
APR STAGE 1 ECU/TCU TUNE

tripleS

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
15 GTI PP \ 16 GT4
The ST line of coilovers are good value. Unless something changed in the last several years, they're a "budget" KW for all intents and purposes. ST X aligns with KW V1, XA to V2, and XTA to V3.

The main differences being a galvanized steel body versus KW stainless w/ inox coating, and a different warranty. I wouldn't hesitate to buy them if I lived in climate which rarely saw snow & salt for no worries over corrosion.

E-rok

Passed Driver's Ed
I put ST X coils on my car 2 weeks ago. I didnt slam it, probably about a 1.25" drop. Rides like stock, with maybe slightly less body roll. Its just a DD with the occasional fun backroad driving, and I am poor so for a little over $600 after rebate, it is hard to beat.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

bekro

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GtI SE
I put ST X coils on my car 2 weeks ago. I didnt slam it, probably about a 1.25" drop. Rides like stock, with maybe slightly less body roll. Its just a DD with the occasional fun backroad driving, and I am poor so for a little over $600 after rebate, it is hard to beat.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Looks fantastic!

2018 GTI SE DSG
APR STAGE 1 ECU/TCU TUNE

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Also, my car has a whooping 1000mi on it, so as far as replacing nuts, bots, bearings, etc, what should I be prepared to replace? Your input is very much appreciated!

I've done a BUNCH of these installs & my advice...

If you, or your installer, are pulling the axle bolts...you MUST replace those. (I don't & use the 2x4 method instead)

With the ST's....I'd buy new strut mounts & strut bearings.
That will allow you to assemble the new coilover (front) struts ahead of time.
Then it is simply a matter of pulling the OEM strut assembly out & dropping those in--making life A LOT easier. You won't have to touch/disassemble/cannibalize your OEM struts/springs (therefore leaving them intact), in case you want to go back to stock or you sell the car.
Then just buy new lower strut bolts ($5/pair).

Then reuse your OEM rear upper shock mounts & you'll be golden.

You made a good choice with the ST's too, btw. Just make sure they're installed properly

bekro

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GtI SE
I've done a BUNCH of these installs & my advice...

If you, or your installer, are pulling the axle bolts...you MUST replace those. (I don't & use the 2x4 method instead)

With the ST's....I'd buy new strut mounts & strut bearings.
That will allow you to assemble the new coilover (front) struts ahead of time.
Then it is simply a matter of pulling the OEM strut assembly out & dropping those in--making life A LOT easier. You won't have to touch/disassemble/cannibalize your OEM struts/springs (therefore leaving them intact), in case you want to go back to stock or you sell the car.
Then just buy new lower strut bolts ($5/pair).

Then reuse your OEM rear upper shock mounts & you'll be golden.

You made a good choice with the ST's too, btw. Just make sure they're installed properly
I plan on using the 2x4 method as well. I plan on running up to my local VW dealer to pick up new strut mounts and bearing and the bolts that pinch the spindle. Are the lower strut bolts for the rear stretch bolts as well or are you recommending them based off of past experience and/or issues?

2018 GTI SE DSG
APR STAGE 1 ECU/TCU TUNE

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
I plan on using the 2x4 method as well. I plan on running up to my local VW dealer to pick up new strut mounts and bearing and the bolts that pinch the spindle. Are the lower strut bolts for the rear stretch bolts as well or are you recommending them based off of past experience and/or issues?

2018 GTI SE DSG
APR STAGE 1 ECU/TCU TUNE

I just replace the fronts, and I've done this 100+ times.

The rears you could, if you want to throw money at it, but you'll probably be adjusting them a few times to get it right....so it might all be moot anyways.
I guess you could get it all dialed in & then go back and replace them with new ones at the very end....if you really wanted.

bekro

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GtI SE
I just replace the fronts, and I've done this 100+ times.

The rears you could, if you want to throw money at it, but you'll probably be adjusting them a few times to get it right....so it might all be moot anyways.
I guess you could get it all dialed in & then go back and replace them with new ones at the very end....if you really wanted.
What were you referring to when you said lower strut bolts? The spindle pinch bolts? I was assuming you were talking about the rear strut lower bolts.

2018 GTI SE DSG
APR STAGE 1 ECU/TCU TUNE