GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

St. 2+ Random Misfire?

jmargaretis

Go Kart Champion
Got a soft code today
Random misfire on cylinder 3
Running OE plugs: currently have 7k on them

Don't flame me for running the OE Bosch plugs, bcs as far as I'm concerned there's plenty of issues with the Densos.
I'm hitting the Dyno on Sat and want some opinions...

Soft code so it's gone after restart so should I just see if it happens again or attack the issue now by;
1. pull the plugs to see if there's fouling
2. switch coils to see if it's the coil-pack itself
2. buy a new coil pack and plug and just say eff it and replace

I'm super anal about the slightest hiccup and this is my first misfire. I'm wondering just how random it could be... Could be bad fuel.

91 oct Shell Nitro : 36k miles : Plugs changed @ 28k miles : IS38 installed at 34.5k miles

jmargaretis

Go Kart Champion
Replace or move?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie
Got a soft code today
Random misfire on cylinder 3
Running OE plugs: currently have 7k on them

Don't flame me for running the OE Bosch plugs, bcs as far as I'm concerned there's plenty of issues with the Densos.
I'm hitting the Dyno on Sat and want some opinions...

Soft code so it's gone after restart so should I just see if it happens again or attack the issue now by;
1. pull the plugs to see if there's fouling
2. switch coils to see if it's the coil-pack itself
2. buy a new coil pack and plug and just say eff it and replace

I'm super anal about the slightest hiccup and this is my first misfire. I'm wondering just how random it could be... Could be bad fuel.

91 oct Shell Nitro : 36k miles : Plugs changed @ 28k miles : IS38 installed at 34.5k miles

Here ya go:

https://www.briskracing.com/silver-racing-er12s-spark-plug-detail

https://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_VII--2.0T_Gen3/Engine/Ignition/ES3160981/

dillinger1

Ready to race!
Replace or move?

a lot of people move coil packs/plugs around to try and pinpoint if a misfire happens on another cylinder - then you'll know it's either that coil or plug and be able to test more

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
Yeah, I had to diagnose a misfire over this past weekend. Got misfire and cylinder disabling on cylinder #1. Switched ignition coils on cylinders 1 and 2 and the code moved to cylinder 2. Easy diagnosis of bad coil. Had it stayed on cylinder 1, next step would have been to put in a new plug.

jmargaretis

Go Kart Champion
Problem for me is it's only popped once so...

I'm running Eurodyne and the tune pulls a lotta timing. I'm wondering why not grab some rs6/7 plugs?

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
It's up to you, if it happened just once, I'd clear it and get on with my day. If you want to throw money at a potential non-problem that's up to you. That being said if you want to upgrade your plugs like the tuners recommend, there are a few choices to go with and SugarMouth was kind enough to even link you to some.

jmargaretis

Go Kart Champion
It's up to you, if it happened just once, I'd clear it and get on with my day. If you want to throw money at a potential non-problem that's up to you. That being said if you want to upgrade your plugs like the tuners recommend, there are a few choices to go with and SugarMouth was kind enough to even link you to some.
A friend is trying some brisks this sat at the dyno. We may just try my car vs his jb1. I'll likely just leave it be unless I get the fault again. Thanks.

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Saw on the other thread you went with the RS7 plugs and like them so far (very early assessment). Just adding that information here to kindof close out the thread.

jmargaretis

Go Kart Champion
Saw on the other thread you went with the RS7 plugs and like them so far (very early assessment). Just adding that information here to kindof close out the thread.

Very early assessment indeed, but there's no reason, they shouldn't continue to do the work. I keep saying, I needed one step colder and to stick with an OE plug is a great option.