GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

SRS-Tec MK7 GTI Bumper Flare Group Buy

cb1111

Definitely not cutting the vinyl around it. If the installer says "Nah, don't do that", I just won't put them on. Will still be happy in the end that I was able to get this taken care of for the community though :)

And no pictures, yet. Car goes in for the Nardo Grey wrap on March 1st.
If he says "it is OK", then find a new installer.

I just asked my installer and he laughed. He thinks it'll hold for a couple of days max or until the first thing bumps into it.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
So, in a bitter ending, I might not even be able to use my own set of flares.

After setting up this group buy, I decided to get my car wrapped. Which its going in for on March 1st. Since these flares would be mounted directly to the vinyl, especially next to an edge, I don't know if I should have concerns about it pulling the vinyl away from from the vehicle. Even more so since the flare essentially creates a "pocket" by the fog light, that will just catch air and press against it while driving. I reached out to the person doing my wrap since he's the professional, and if he says "Yeah, don't risk it", my set might even end up in the classifieds :(

Can you install the covers first then get the vinyl wrap? Can they not cut around it?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Can you install the covers first then get the vinyl wrap? Can they not cut around it?

I'm sure they could, but honestly, the wrap is more important to me than the bumper flares. I'd rather have it wrapped nicely around the full bumper rather than cut around the flares.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Heard back from my installer. Said it shouldn't be a problem, but of course couldn't guarantee anything. So sticking with preserving the wrap is more important than the flares to me. SnailPower said he wasn't sure if he wanted them or not, so off to the classifieds!

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I'm sure they could, but honestly, the wrap is more important to me than the bumper flares. I'd rather have it wrapped nicely around the full bumper rather than cut around the flares.
I don’t get it... the wrap has to be cut around the existing trim anyways, so what’s problem with cutting around these as trim? Do they glue to the body or the existing trim?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I don’t get it... the wrap has to be cut around the existing trim anyways, so what’s problem with cutting around these as trim?

The wrap isn't getting cut around the trim. I specifically paid extra for the bumper and trim to be removed, to wrap the entire bump, then reinstall the trim around it (the wrap, that is).

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
The wrap isn't getting cut around the trim. I specifically paid extra for the bumper and trim to be removed, to wrap the entire bump, then reinstall the trim around it.
Maybe it’s cause I’m thinking of my 7.5 section as reference, so does the flare glue to the body and not the trim?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Maybe it’s cause I’m thinking of my 7.5 section as reference, so does the flare glue to the body and not the trim?

Yes. It attaches to the bumper, not the trim. It attaches along the edges of the foglight area, eventually merging into the trim on the bottom.

1613073725203.png

In my case with the wrap, he's not cutting around those fins. He's removing the entire bumper and that trim, wrapping the bumper, then installing that trim back on top of the wrap. I could have saved $300 and had him cut around it, but figured I'd have it done the "right" way instead of having the vinyl cut around stuff.

And like I said, he said it should be fine attaching it there to the vinyl, but I just don't want to take that chance. It's not worth it to me.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Boxed up and ready to go to UPS tomorrow!

PXL_20210212_005833393.jpg

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
And they're off! All have been dropped off at UPS, and should be on their way to you guys. Can't wait to see them once people start receiving them and getting them on their cars!