GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Squirrely moderate/hard left turns

7umberjackZac

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Gti
I'm tryin to self diagnosis this issue before I have an alignment done. I've noticed this overtaking when the car feels like it may go out of control. Last time only at 45mph.

I was crawling around and thought maybe have a look at ball joint. It looked bent to me. Possibly may need shocks I suppose.

What would parts would only affect the stability of the car to maintain left turns?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Boost_Junkie

Passed Driver's Ed
Ball joint looks fine. Any more info? Does it lose traction? Is it bouncy? How many miles? Are you sure you're not just losing front traction when accelerating?

7umberjackZac

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Gti
I have my engine mounts all done, so it's not wheel hop.

But I do tend to lose traction under WOT, in 1st 2nd sometimes 3rd. I'm running firehawk Indy 500s, JB4 map2 e30 fuel. I have a clunking sound going over bumps from the front left too. Maybe it's more of a squeeking but definitely making noise

50k miles

Last edited:

jeffkro

Go Kart Champion
Clunking sound could mean bad strut, take a look and see if there is any oil residue on it. It could be bad without oil showing but 50k is not much.

7umberjackZac

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Gti
Poking around and I think you hit the nail on the head. It would explain the amount of road vibrations getting into car. It seems like I feel every bump. More so from the left.

Now I want to look into coilovers if I'm gonna spend the money.

2beaks

Take a look at your tyres. Are they evenly worn on front? Any difference left to right?
I had similar issues and it was low Tyre tread depth with wear pattern associated with too little negative camber plus lower suspension bushes that were soggy. Yours should be checked at 50k miles but both my mk6 and 7 needed doing and similar feeling. Do you drive hard in the corners?
Btw, any noise when turning steering wheel? With the noise I’d also consider your top mount bearing could have failed.
You should also have ARB links checked for play.

Cheers.
A.

7umberjackZac

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Gti
Tires are new less than 5k. The car gives quite a bit to small road bumps and dips, more so from the left. I was beginning to think my transmission mount had loosened up. No steering noise

Unfortunately I have definitely bottomed out that left strut more than once. Braking also seems to show worn struts and shocks. I was poking around and i didn't notice anything else, but once I get the struts replaced I'm going for an alignment and I'll just ask the stealership to give it a look.

I plan on pouring poly bushings actually, I got a can of 80A and 60A. Trying to decide.