GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Squeaky doors

Hun

Hi guys,
Lately I've noticed the "B" pillars on my mk7 Squeak when I'm turning around corners or going up and down a hump. It's really annoying to the ears. Also another clicking sound appears when driven on an uneven surface.. After a car wash the sounds just disappears and comes back after 3 to 4 hours when the car is dry... Does anyone here face the same problem? Any solution?

Cheers ... =)

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Sounds like the MK6!

jp_cfc09

Ready to race!
also do you guys know your ment to turn auto hold off when your getting your car washed, something to do with the pressure washer spraying through the rear wheels onto the unit. its in the manual.

the squicky doors only must happen on certain ones as mines is great with only a squicky window which I sloved with dry lube down the side to grease it up. must be something rubbing makeing it squick, have you tryed to find where from by cheeking everything is secured. seems like a easy fix if you can find where its comeing from, maybe a lose clip not holding a part of trim in as much as it should. as its happening from movements it would lead you to believe its something simple like this to be honest.

Last edited:

Essjay

Ready to race!
It actually says "before driving into a car wash, you should always switch off the Auto Hold function as damage could be caused if the electronic parking brake is closed automatically".
I may be wrong but I took this to mean one of the car washes that have rollers which pull the car through, as the parking brake could assume the car has stopped and apply the brake whilst the rollers are trying to pull the car through.

JohnV1

Ready to race!
I had a series of quality, fit 'n finish problems with my Mk6 GT 140 TDi when it was delivered including squeaky doors and dash rattle. I wrote a letter to the Managing Director at the dealership and complained that the new Golf (in 2010) sounded like an old creaking galleon ship.

He asked me to bring it in and they kept it for nearly 3 days with the master technician solving each of the rattles and squeaks one by one. The worst was the one from what I thought was the dash but was in fact an unsecured hose in the engine bay that was smacking against the bulkhead. It just need a clip and couple of cable ties which the boneheads in Wolfsburg had forgotten.

Basically the technician will remove the door covers and dab superglue to any suspected area. I could see that he'd applied a tiny bit of glue to the glove-box latch (which would buzz from time to time).

The other quality problems were fixable by the dealer, e.g. poorly seated rubber windscreen surround, missing securing clips for the drivers side electric window cluster (the whole unit pulled out every time I closed a window!). The central locking LED on the door didn't illuminate (they'd missed the connection).

The moral of the story is that you have to stand your ground and complain. The warranty is ironclad and solid, so use it. I suggest doing it in writing.

I fully expect similar problems with my Mk7 GT 150 TDi when it's eventually delivered.

jp_cfc09

Ready to race!
properly but we dont have them here in ireland so never thought of it that way, all the washes over here have rollers that move not the car. thought America just had them lol, I prefer pressure washers just by hand my self. I assumed it was ment to be off as if its moveing then water will enter the unit causeing it to through up faults on the dash like the old passets did. had many people call in after a car wash with just the old e brake without auto hold sticking after water damage, easy fix but cost enough to replace the unit.

Last edited:

krob2

Passed Driver's Ed
I've got a bit closer to finding the rattle in my Mk7. Someone sat in the passenger seat and the rattle wasn't there!! I thought it was the passenger door..

Hun

Well I've checked every single rubber door seals throughout the car. Haven't found any hardened rubber or loose fittings on it. The squeaking sound is audible only when the car is on an uneven surface.. It's hard to try fixing the problem as the source of the squeaks aren't identified.. It is stressful driving it as the service centre in my country can only attend to it in the next 10 days. We have to make an appointment in order to send the car in for a fixing...

jimble1

Ready to race!
Get some car wax and apply it to the door opening where the top seal meets the body, buff it off like you would the rest of the car, that should stop it.
My mk6 did the same, it's most likely caused by the car wash shampoo.

nojorge

Car(s)
VW Jetta
My MK6 did the same thing: squeaking noise over uneven pavement. Pulling in and out of driveways sounded like I was driving an old POS more than a brand-new car.

The offender ended up being the felt material on the top of the door seals meeting to the inside of the door jam (against the painted car surface). I purchased a roll of 3M adhesive-backed felt tape and applied it along the door jam so it was now felt-to-felt contact versus felt-to-painted surface.

The tape has held up for the past two years (with no visible wear) and the noise is completely gone. I tried a lot of other remedies suggested on golfmk6.com, but this was the only one that worked.

I would have hoped that VW would have address it for the MK7. Why can every other automaker do it right, but VW can't? My brother's 10-year-old Hyundai Sonata is a model of silence when it comes to the door seals vs my unmodified MK6 door seals. It's embarrassing.

Belix

Passed Driver's Ed
For my mk6, I got some 6mm irrigation hose and stuck it under the rubber seal, and it helps a lot, but not completely. Would have thought VW would have fixed that...

FADGE55

My local dealer has had my one year old Golf in for a total of 10 days, trying to fix a bad noise from the glovebox and a less noisy tapping from the driver's door. They replaced the glovebox lid and the adjacent air vent too. Also had both door panels off and added extra sound matting everywhere. Glove box successful, door the same noise still there.
The mechanic said they'd had quite a few cars returned. It seems the quality and refinement is going down the pan.
Solution; radio on.

mk7gti2.0

Ready to race!
Use some Gummi p fledged on the rubber seals especially the one on top of the door where the felt is. Pull the felt back and rub some on the rubber that's under the felt. Solves the crick in noise you get over rough surfaces.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Sailkote.

You'll find I've made numerous posts about this product.
It's a dry, water resistant lubricant spray used sailing and marine applications.
Spray the felt, not the rubber.