GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Squeaking noise when driving

Jantriis02

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI
Hey all,

looking for a bit of guidance here. I just got back from a track weekend, and now my car makes a squealing noise when driving. It is exclusively coming from the front drivers side wheel. I have pulled the wheel off and spun the caliper slowly, and it makes the noise, so I know the wheel/ tire itself is not the issue. I am wondering if anyone has any ideas for me as to what could cause it. Right now, my main suspects are pads/rotors, and wheel bearing.

I am dealing with limited tools/ resources/ technical knowledge, so hopefully its a cheap/ easy fix. Just wondering if anyone has knowledge of how to check the pads and rotors and bearing. Would be nice to know what I'm getting myself into.

Thank you all

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Likely a small rock stuck in the caliper, rubbing the rotor as it spins. Usually driving backwards for a few feet will dislodge. If not, pull the caliper off and see if you can find it.

Jantriis02

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI
Likely a small rock stuck in the caliper, rubbing the rotor as it spins. Usually driving backwards for a few feet will dislodge. If not, pull the caliper off and see if you can find it.
Thank you for the input. I will attempt this and pray for it to be correct!

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
What pad were you running?

Does the caliper have lateral play at the guide pins? There should be. It’s floating. A pin which seized will create this noise.

For the bearing; check for play/wobble at the hub for the diagnosing the bearings. There shouldn’t be any play.

Jantriis02

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI
What pad were you running?

Does the caliper have lateral play at the guide pins? There should be. It’s floating. A pin which seized will create this noise.

For the bearing; check for play/wobble at the hub for the diagnosing the bearings. There shouldn’t be any play.
I'm running EBC Yellowstuff pads.

The noise is much higher pitched than the video, so that may not be it.

thank you for the advice!

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
Is the squealing only under braking? If so it’s just the Yellow pad compound not in its operating temperature range. Typical track pad noise.

I just had a track day a couple weeks ago and couldn’t get around to taking off the Porterfield R4 from the front calipers immediately after the event. Drove around town for a few days with the car sounding like a cement mixer truck braking. Used to daily drive Hawk HP plus years ago, they’d also squeal when cold. Sure it’s not just the pad?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Is the squealing only under braking? If so it’s just the Yellow pad compound not in its operating temperature range. Typical track pad noise.

I just had a track day a couple weeks ago and couldn’t get around to taking off the Porterfield R4 from the front calipers immediately after the event. Drove around town for a few days with the car sounding like a cement mixer truck braking. Used to daily drive Hawk HP plus years ago, they’d also squeal when cold. Sure it’s not just the pad?
HP plus we're crazy noisy. People would stare at me.

Jantriis02

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI

HP plus we're crazy noisy. People would stare at me.
The squealing noise occurs when I am not braking. Thats where my main question comes from

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I think you need to look for a rock or debris and then inspect the caliper, like David said.

If they don't slide in the pins, clean them up or two place them, and add a little grease. If dust seals are toast, replace them.

Tracking is hard on cars. Maintenance requirements drastically increase.