GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sputter on Warm Start

sippinfantasy

Car(s)
2016 GTI
Hi Guys over the last year or two I've had a couple of rough starts with my 2016 SE gti. It is still entirely stock. Currently has about 150k Miles.

Well the rough starts went from once every couple of months to now being more common. To get the car to start I have to give a bit of gas until the car fires up. Recently started getting P0172 Bank 1 too rich.
I also noticed when doing the spark plugs a small bit of oil on the threads. But nothing major for plugs that had 140k on them as I can only assume the original owner never swapped the plugs. I purchased at 80k.

I've been reading around and the only confirmed fix I've found is a Reddit post where someone posted for their friend and said it was the High Pressure Fuel Pump. I've also been seeing potentially could be caused by carbon build up as this car has never had a cleaning. I've got that scheduled for next week. I'm just curious if anyone has ran into this or has found any known/confirmed fixes for this issue.

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Did you have a look at the air filter make sure it's not clogged up? Otherwise I'd be suspecting an injector (not misting properly, more like pumping fluid in). Of course a carbon cleaning at that miles wouldn't be a bad idea either.....and if it's not something as simple as clogged air filter /intake system the manifold will have to come off as a next step regardless