GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Springs for Bilstein B14 Coilovers

ModdedMK7.5

Car(s)
2018 MK7.5 GTI
Hello all,

I have a burning question to ask. I know there are brands out there that sell springs for coilovers, but that got me thinking. Are springs for B14 coilovers from Bilstein or springs that can support that kind of coilover? Since I mainly see springs, such as swift springs, that can suit coilovers like BC Racing, Fortune Auto, and EQT. My main question is, has anyone tried replacing the springs for the B14's with another different spring? Any recommendations on where, what brand, spring rate, or type of spring to go for? Any advice or experience is appreciated!

Many Thanks!

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
You can switch out springs, but without changing valving to match you shouldn’t make too big of a change or your be doing more harm than good.

I’d recommend looking at Mini7 and others setups & investing in Ohlins or similar so you can have them valved to match your desired spring rates.

The downside to that is they should be serviced about once a year, so if you daily the car you’d wanna hang onto the B14s to run in the off season while the track setup gets “rebuilt” aka cleaned, oil change and fresh seals.

GoatAutomotive

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Hello all,

I have a burning question to ask. I know there are brands out there that sell springs for coilovers, but that got me thinking. Are springs for B14 coilovers from Bilstein or springs that can support that kind of coilover? Since I mainly see springs, such as swift springs, that can suit coilovers like BC Racing, Fortune Auto, and EQT. My main question is, has anyone tried replacing the springs for the B14's with another different spring? Any recommendations on where, what brand, spring rate, or type of spring to go for? Any advice or experience is appreciated!

Many Thanks!
The main thing is that bilstein isn't valved for linear springs, and if you go for swift, eibach, hyperco, etc. they will be. I don't know the diameter of the lower spring perch on B14 but I assume that 2.5" or 65mm might fit. Have someone like PSI or Deltavee revalve them for whatever rates you choose.
Then you just need to get a camber plate built from vorshlag or ground control for your desired spring ID and bilstein top nut.

If you don't already have a set of B14s and are looking for trackday usage, I have a set of re-valved B8s and a Ground Control spring conversion for sale.