GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Spring & Shock/Damper Installation Reference Guide

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
The passenger side front I find to be the hardest just because of its orientation with the knuckle and the FSB endlink.

With that said, the 2x4 method is by far the easiest way to get them out.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
The passenger side front I find to be the hardest just because of its orientation with the knuckle and the FSB endlink.

Getting them back in with the 2 x 4 method is super sketchy though unless you're going really low. My buddy that helped me almost took a 2 x 4 to the hand when we overshot the hub and 2 x 4 slipped off.

I'm thinking ratchet straps on the springs would be safer.

Mother

Go Kart Newbie
Getting them back in with the 2 x 4 method is super sketchy though unless you're going really low. My buddy that helped me almost took a 2 x 4 to the hand when we overshot the hub and 2 x 4 slipped off.

I'm thinking ratchet straps on the springs would be safer.

Are you not using the modified 2x4 method with a hole drilled for the endlink bolt?

It doesn't have to compress it that far. Just the last little bit since the hub drops so far.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Are you not using the modified 2x4 method with a hole drilled for the endlink bolt?

It doesn't have to compress it that far. Just the last little bit since the hub drops so far.

No, just wedged it under there. Your way sounds safer. Lol

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner

See...I always had the easier time on the passenger side. The strut doesn't wanna rotate.
On the driver's side, it DOES want to turn/slip rotate off the 2x4.
Attaching the bolt to the 2x4 does help prevent that problem though.

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
Man, I never thought of that lol. I've taken the suspension on/off my old gti around 7 times without securing the 2x4 like that. I'll definitely drill and secure it when I do the R this spring.

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
I, personally, always use new ones.
No point in pairing old parts with new ones, that'll be your weak link. It's a giant rubber bushing, essentially, btw.
But if you wanna be cheap...I'd keep it under the 20k-30k mile range. Unless you want to tear down the suspension again to replace them in the future.
Do it one time and do it right, IMO

Smart advice.

With front mount bearings, a lot depends on what duty cycles they undergo. As said, lots of rough road use will cause them to deteriorate more quickly. Also they sometimes take a "set" and will make noise if not re-oriented exactly as removed. At a minimum, check for smooth operation of the bearings. Or just don't take chances and replace them like Dan said.

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
Great job! Question on the torque specs, not questioning the validity, but what is the source? Some are quite different than the ones I’ve collected.
Also, what strut spreader do you have there? I’ve only ever seen the bit style. Fancy. ?

The torque specs I offered up came directly from the repair info supplied by VW. While I don't question the source validity given by zcspec either, I do question the differences from what is in the repair info database for the MK 7/7.5. There is no additional rotation mentioned which has been stressed everywhere I've seen referencing the proper fastening/torquing of certain suspension components. See my post #142 for some insight.

Also, in the first post the tightening spec for the front pinch bolt is incorrect. I believe it should be 70Nm (52 lb/ft) + 180° additional turn instead of 90°.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Everything is 2 ugga duggas.

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
Also, in the first post the tightening spec for the front pinch bolt is incorrect. I believe it should be 70Nm (52 lb/ft) + 180° additional turn instead of 90°.

Keep in mind that info is a few years old now. I think I got it off of the DAP video. That said, just getting to 90 takes a fair amount of muscle, even using a 1/2” breaker bar. I’d honestly be worried about snapping the bolt if I went to 180. ..but that’s what it says in the repair manual?

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
Keep in mind that info is a few years old now. I think I got it off of the DAP video. That said, just getting to 90 takes a fair amount of muscle, even using a 1/2” breaker bar. I’d honestly be worried about snapping the bolt if I went to 180. ..but that’s what it says in the repair manual?

Yep. And I know what you mean about getting it that tight. Almost have an aneurysm everytime I do an install. Never snapped any bolts though, they are quite beefy.