GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Spring & Shock/Damper Installation Reference Guide

RopeJumper13

Passed Driver's Ed
What would be the definition of "high mileage" in terms of whether to replace the strut mount or not?
The strut mount really isn't a moving part so I would estimate 60k+. It would really depends on how old and what kind of action they have been through. If you live in an area full of potholes or rough roads, etc... Another consideration is how often you plan on removing the struts.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
What would be the definition of "high mileage" in terms of whether to replace the strut mount or not?
I, personally, always use new ones.
No point in pairing old parts with new ones, that'll be your weak link. It's a giant rubber bushing, essentially, btw.
But if you wanna be cheap...I'd keep it under the 20k-30k mile range. Unless you want to tear down the suspension again to replace them in the future.
Do it one time and do it right, IMO

JD-1

Ready to race!
Do you know the part number for rear shock mount bolts?

zcspec

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MQB S3
Hey guys, I just wrapped up another DIY, specifically for spring/coilover install that can suppliment this thread. Let me know if you want me to post the video link.

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
Hey guys, I just wrapped up another DIY, specifically for spring/coilover install that can suppliment this thread. Let me know if you want me to post the video link.

Go for it. Updating the first post may be a no-go for me though. Last time I tried to edit it I got an error about it needing to be under 10K char.

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
Feel free to use this an another resource to install springs/coils on your MQB car!

Spring/Coilover Install DIY Video
Great job! Question on the torque specs, not questioning the validity, but what is the source? Some are quite different than the ones I’ve collected.
Also, what strut spreader do you have there? I’ve only ever seen the bit style. Fancy. ?

zcspec

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MQB S3
Great job! Question on the torque specs, not questioning the validity, but what is the source? Some are quite different than the ones I’ve collected.
Also, what strut spreader do you have there? I’ve only ever seen the bit style. Fancy. ?
Hammersticks, I sourced the torque specs from 034 and ECS guides. As far as the "fancy" spreader, it's a "FIRSTINFO Universal Multi Functional Steering Knuckle Spreading Tool" that I purchased from Amazon. I also have the bit style, but after seeing what it can do to the aluminum knuckle, I waned to try something different.

VL3X

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
^^ Damn, that thing looks way more secure than the Metal Nerd bit I used. The bit can pop out of place and can grind away if not aligned 100% perfectly. If doing this job more than once, I'd recommend getting that tool zcspec has!

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
Feel free to use this an another resource to install springs/coils on your MQB car!
Spring/Coilover Install DIY Video

Hammersticks, I sourced the torque specs from 034 and ECS guides. As far as the "fancy" spreader, it's a "FIRSTINFO Universal Multi Functional Steering Knuckle Spreading Tool" that I purchased from Amazon. I also have the bit style, but after seeing what it can do to the aluminum knuckle, I waned to try something different.

Updated the initial post with both of these. Thanks again! I also ordered the spreader. The metal nerd bit absolutely gets the job done, but I like the design of the firstinfo tool and will put it to use soon enough.

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Nice guide, thank you.

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf

Updated the initial post with both of these. Thanks again! I also ordered the spreader. The metal nerd bit absolutely gets the job done, but I like the design of the firstinfo tool and will put it to use soon enough.

I tried using the FirstInfo tool yesterday. In my experience, it didn't loosen the strut enough, at least using the 2x4 method. I tried for ~15 minutes but the strut simply wasn't budging. I then went back to the "tried and true" MetalNerd bit, and voila, it immediately dropped .5" with a gentle push down. The bit style also provides the flexibility of moving the bit up/down within the knuckle to account for the tab. The firstinfo tool has obviously worked for others, but so far, I personally prefer the MetalNerd bit for its flexibility, effectiveness, and cost.

growlyboi

Car(s)
Mk7R
Just want to say thanks for this thread. I'm a shade tree mechanic, and with this info and a 2x4 was able to get my springs installed with relatively no fuss.