GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Spring & Shock/Damper Installation Reference Guide

dsgvw

Ready to race!
So I installed new springs and the updated F bearings only to have some weird ticking noises while turning stopped or low speeds. Goes away at higher speed.

Ticking sound corresponds to the cutouts on the F bearings and my old ones I removed are E bearings. Sadly I think I’m stuck popping the E ones back in.

Anyone have noises with the F bearings? I’m convinced the strut mount may be different for the two and my noises are because I’m pairing the F bearings with the E mounts. Won’t know til I pull it apart again I guess.

Last edited:

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
I put the F ones in a couple days ago, replaced E bearings. Stupidly, I forgot to visually compare the two, but the new ones fit fine and I have not noticed any weird noises or anything.

Robajon

Quick question for you guys:

Got everything out on the front but ran into an issue while reinstalling and was running out of daylight anyway. When you guys are putting the strut back into the knuckle, are you compressing the spring/2x4 and then wiggling it slightly until the tab is seated in the knuckle? Just seems a bit sketchy to me to manipulate it like that when it's pressurized.

VL3X

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
Quick question for you guys:

Got everything out on the front but ran into an issue while reinstalling and was running out of daylight anyway. When you guys are putting the strut back into the knuckle, are you compressing the spring/2x4 and then wiggling it slightly until the tab is seated in the knuckle? Just seems a bit sketchy to me to manipulate it like that when it's pressurized.

I did. I had some trouble at first, but figured out the best way is to line it up with the strut spreader at the top, then reposition the bit toward the bottom and the strut should just drop in.

_cruster

Ready to race!
I replaced my shocks today using the 2x4 method. New pinch bolts and bearings up front. I’ve got a wicked shimmy now - it feels like a wheel is on crooked. I can feel it in the steering wheel but I can’t tell exactly where it’s coming from. Shakes worse while accelerating and is worst around 35, but you can feel it at all speeds. After a short test drive I got back underneath and made sure everything I touched was torqued correctly. Nothing seems out of sorts. Not the first set of shocks I’ve done but I’ve never had this happen. Anyone run into this?

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
I replaced my shocks today using the 2x4 method. New pinch bolts and bearings up front. I’ve got a wicked shimmy now - it feels like a wheel is on crooked. I can feel it in the steering wheel but I can’t tell exactly where it’s coming from. Shakes worse while accelerating and is worst around 35, but you can feel it at all speeds. After a short test drive I got back underneath and made sure everything I touched was torqued correctly. Nothing seems out of sorts. Not the first set of shocks I’ve done but I’ve never had this happen. Anyone run into this?
Nope, definitely sounds like something is wrong.

Did the end links on the front sway bar get reattached correctly?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
Check the top nut and shock mount bolts.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
Also, maybe it is the wheels. When you put them back on be sure to do it properly (make sure rim is seated, thread lug bolts in a star pattern, torque when on the ground).

And - IMO - don't drive it like that til you fix it lol.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

_cruster

Ready to race!
And - IMO - don't drive it like that til you fix it lol.

Ha - pro tip!

I parked it after my short test drive - it didn't feel right at all. Almost feels like a wheel bearing. I went over all the "stuff" - sway links connected, springs look seated right, bearings and mounts appear to be oriented correctly...just driving me crazy because there aren't that many parts.

I'll go over it all again tonight. Thanks for the tips.

_cruster

Ready to race!
Did you preload the suspension before tightening things up in the rear?

I did, I normally use a jack under the lower control arm to load, then tighten, before putting the wheel back on. I can definitely loosen, load, and retorque to be sure.